iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Restore from Icloud with IOS 8.3

Hi,

I have an Iphone 5s with the latest IOS 8.3
Yesterday I got a new Iphone 6. Before doing anything I backup the 5s to iCloud.

I started my new phone and select restore from iCloud. Impossible to do it because the new phone was shipped to the shop with IOS 8.1 or something and all my backups are done after 8.1

There is a warning that the backup cannot be done because the IOS are not the same.
No written anywhere that restore from iClould only works

if new iPhone have the same IOS of the backups
What I did I just downloaded the IOS 8.3 to the new phone and because was of 552mb took long time.
Now I have a new phone with IOS 8.3 and all backups with IOS 8.3
I was thinking of: getting into reset Iphone setting and select: erase all content and setting, then do the set up again and select restore from iCloud.

Will it work?
If I do this will reset the IOS to 8.1 or to the latest 8.3 downloaded by me??

I really try to avoid downloading all my application one by one
If there is any other way to do it please let me know

Thanks
GL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restore from Icloud with IOS 8.3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restore from Icloud with IOS 8.3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.

In reply to: Restore from Icloud with IOS 8.3

Apps can be version dependent so it's never a sure thing when changing iOS. And to rely on icloud alone for your files/data is crazy. It may be good but where is YOUR BACKUP?

As to what will happen, my bet is data will restore but apps won't for very good reasons.
Bob

Collapse -
Where to backup

In reply to: I'm going with no.

Thanks

((And to rely on icloud alone for your files/data is crazy))

So where else to backup if icloud is not safe?

My backup in on icloud...everything listed there, done it yesterday

My main question was if the IOS 8.3 will be there after erase all content and setting because if yes I don't see any reason for not working but if goes back to 8.1 it will NOT work for sure

GL

Collapse -
Why not upgrade the iPhone to 8.3

In reply to: Where to backup

and then do the restore.

Meanwhile, DO NOT backup up anything to the iCloud from the new iPhone.

Once the new phone is on 8.3, you "should" be able to Restore from the Old backup.

At least that is the way I understand it

P

Collapse -
backup

In reply to: Why not upgrade the iPhone to 8.3

Thanks

i already done the upgrade to 8.3 immediately and will do the restore on Sunday, hope all OK..
what is unbelievable is that not even apple mention this problem anywhere

Rergards

Collapse -
I didn't write it wasn't safe.

In reply to: Where to backup

I will write it's not a sure thing. As to the other backup there is iTunes and in the Itunes store other backup apps.
Bob

Collapse -
backups

In reply to: I didn't write it wasn't safe.

thanks i will look into it for future backups

Regards

Collapse -
TYPO.

In reply to: backups

I meant "offer other backup apps."

Collapse -
Backups

In reply to: TYPO.

Ok

Thanks

Collapse -
restore

In reply to: Backups

i did the restore from iTunes and no problems but i bet it would have worked even from icloud since the IOS are all 8.3

GL

Collapse -
Clarification on what happens when you restore from iCloud

In reply to: I'm going with no.

Bob-

Just wanted to let you know what happens when you restore from iCloud, since what you write above seems you indicate you might not yet have had to deal with it.

The apps that do not ship with the device end up being re-downloaded from the app store when you restore from an iCloud backup. They do this to help reduce the size of the backups. This is really only an issue when you deal with really old apps that simply never get updated, or with something that for some odd reason ends up being removed from the app store. During the latter, having the *.ipa files somewhere on the HDD in an iTunes backup can come in handy, but not always if future iOS updates remove the ability to install a previously approved app, etc.

It's sort of a mixed issue regarding files, since often they truly reside somewhere else in the cloud, a la Dropbox, as email attachments, etc., so not having them present in an iCloud backup doesn't honestly always mean much. Backups/dealing with large photo libraries and music are still possibly Apple's biggest Achilles heel, although what you can *do* with those types of media on iOS devices is pretty amazing IMNSHO.

Collapse -
This happened.

In reply to: Clarification on what happens when you restore from iCloud

A client had an app that was not ready for the latest iOS and so it didn't restore it. They had to wait till the author caught up.

Collapse -
Answer
move your settings and app

In reply to: Restore from Icloud with IOS 8.3

Plug in iphone 5s to computer back up evrything to computer using itunes

Remove and plug iphone 6 do the initial setup and update to latest version

Select the back and restor option from itunes select the iphone 5s as the restore option from list

Go on with all restore

All done

Collapse -
Backup

In reply to: move your settings and app

Yes i think better this way

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.