Computer Help forum

General discussion

restore cds

by urbanhermit / April 23, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

I have an emachine 740 (about 8 years old?)running XP home and am trying to take it back to its out of the box state. I've tried re-booting with the restore cds it came with but nothing happens. It powers up but with a blank screen... Is there something else I can try or some other software I can use?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: restore cds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: restore cds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: restore CD's
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2008 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: restore cds

Four questions:
1. Did you set the BIOS to boot from the CD?
2. What's on the hard disk at the moment?
3. Does it boot without CD?
4. Why are you going back?

Kees

Collapse -
re: re: restore cds
by urbanhermit / April 23, 2008 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: restore CD's

Thanks for getting back so quickly!
Answers:
1. Did not set the BIOS (don't know how)
2. On the hard disk is everything from 8 years usage (some of which I can't seem to delete or uninstall)
3. It boots fine and everything is working (albeit slowly and with regards to the above)
4. Thought it might be a good way to 'clean it up' and start over with just the programs and applications I use on it. It's a second computer (I have a sony vaio laptop) and I only use it plugged in to my tv to brouse the internet from the sofa.

Collapse -
Re: BIOS
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2008 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: re: re: restore cds

The first thing you see when you boot is the BIOS. Usually, somewhere near the bottom there's a line like "Press del to enter setup". But just as well it could be that with you it's escape or F1 or F2 or F10 or another special key. If it's not on the screen, it should be mentioned somewhere in the documentation that came with the PC.
Then, somewhere inside the BIOS setup, there's an option to choose the boot devices and sequence. Usual devices are harddisk, floppy and CD. And to boot from the CD it has to be set to boot from CD first.

Still, if it boots differently with or without CD, it seems it boots from the CD. Then the problem is: is it correct it doesn't show you something recognizable (like "Press R to restore the PC back to factory conditions")? Or is something wrong with the CD? Or is something wrong with the drive? There's no recognised standaard for how a recovery CD should behave. If you don't have a manual that tells you what SHOULD happen, it's impossible to know.

Maybe find another PC to test the CD? Set that one to boot from the CD and see what happens.

Kees

Collapse -
bios + restore
by urbanhermit / April 23, 2008 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: BIOS

Thanks so much for your help btw...

The cds are fresh first time out of their box... the cd drive reads and writes (music, photos, movies all fine)... nothing is displayed anywhere at start up to access bios (i've tried esc, all the F-numbers, a few choice words etc)... And i haven't got a clue where my documentation is. I've moved house 5 times since i bought it! I can't even seem to find any downloadable manuals for this model either. The name 'emachines' was bought by the current manufacturer Gateway computers.
meh
thank you though! I'll keep trying.
B

Collapse -
solution!!!
by urbanhermit / April 24, 2008 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: bios + restore

Thank you for your time and effort!

I have, after, oh say 5 hours of working on it, decided to unplug the pc from my lcd telly and plug it into my old crt monitor and behold! Up comes the restore screen when I boot with the disk in. Looks like the tv wasn't recognising the signal.

Thanks again. I feel like a dolt, but there you go...

Collapse -
Keep in mind
by Willy / April 24, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: solution!!!

Not to belittle you but in the future state the system as it was used and/or componets. I read the 1st post and that would have resolved getting a quicker answer, though you got the right answer but couldn't be applied as your LCD was being used. It helps to lessen the back&forth of posts to get to the real problem and not tackle so-called cockpit issues. Shoot, it happens but now you're be learned.

adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
doh!
by urbanhermit / April 24, 2008 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep in mind

thanks willy... ref the above.

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Thanks for letting us know.
by Kees Bakker / April 24, 2008 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: solution!!!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?