Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Restaurants = Dirty?

I've wondered about this for a long time. Everyone I've met who's ever worked in a restaurant uniformly says there's no clean place anywhere. Most of them won't eat in one anymore. Can anyone tell me exactly what is so horrible? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restaurants = Dirty?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restaurants = Dirty?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never worked in a restaurant

In reply to: Restaurants = Dirty?

Have worked in stores with a food court and they were fanatical about cleanliness. Both sons have worked in restaurants and won't eat in some but have no problem with others.

Diana

Collapse -
Your friends must have worked

in some real greasy spoons!!! I grew up in the business and my husband and I owned one, Our health inspections were in the top! No filthy restaraunt stays open long as they get closed down!

Collapse -
sometimes true

Hi Tsee,

I've worked in a few restaurants that had some less than clean aspects. Nothing too shocking though, not enough to prevent me from eating out. 24 hour or "always open" places are maybe the worst case, as
it's hard to fully clean without a shut-down period.

Rick

Collapse -
No. Around here....

..... the grade given following inspection by the Health Department must be posted for all to see.

We can also go to a web site to check out the grades, and why they were awarded. Even the "top" places rarely reach 100 %. (Even a dripping faucet can lower the grade.)

Many of the low scores are because of food stuffs not being kept at proper temperatures, or stored improperly. Also common are mouse droppings being seen. (Food places must be careful not to use toxic products to control mice and other pests.)

Noticing an employee not washing his or her hands when they should also catches the eye of the inspector.

My question would be, how closely did those to whom you talked follow the rules? Did they make every effort to keep the place as clean as possible? Were they careful to store foodstuffs correctly, keep dirty utensils from the food preparation areas, etc.? Or did they just hate their jobs, so just biding their time without much care of the possible fall out to the public. And just how careful are they in their home kitchens to keep them clean.

Restaurant work is hard work. As earlier said, those businesses that consistently violate standards don't last.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.