Desktops forum

General discussion

Restarting computer

by ernsttco / April 7, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

Hello. My computer,compaq p3 1ghz, 512mb ram, 40gbhd, winxp sp2. For some reason the computer keeps on restarting on its own. As soon as everything starts up it does this. I even tried to boot up in safe mode, and it still restatred on it's own. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restarting computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restarting computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
initial guess... bad hard drive or corrupted boot sector
by ramarc / April 7, 2006 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Restarting computer

i think you have 2 choices: try to diagnose the problem and repair it; or get a new hard drive and clone the old one. (personally, i would just go get a new hard drive right away.)

to diagnose with chkdsk:
if your drive is formatted using fat32, boot using a win98 boot disk ( and run chkdsk.
if you're using NTFS, and have a recovery disk, use it. if not, try booting from your win xp install disk, running the recovery console, and then running chkdsk.

diagnose with drive software:
if you have drive installation CD (Maxtor MaxBlast, Western Digital Data Lifeguard, etc.), boot it and let it scan your hard drive.

even if you manage to repair the problem, I would consider that drive iffy and plan on getting a new drive ASAP.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Heat is a likely culprit
by mackman / April 7, 2006 5:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
restart ditto...
by jackintucson / April 7, 2006 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Restarting computer

This usually occurs for one of two reasons:
1) The CPU is overheating causing it to reboot. Take the cover off and, using a can of compressed air, blow out the components. If there is a lot of dust, have a vacuum handy. Use an artist's paint brush (1/2in. will work fine) and gently remove the dust from all the fan blades paying particular attention to the CPU fan. Don't forget the heat sink fins. Leave the case open and restart the computer.

2) You have a pest. Run at least two different (I use 3) anti-spyware scanners. EWIDO is real good. Also run at least 2 anti-virus scanners. A good registry cleaner would be advisable although these programs are beginning to cover it all.

Let us know.

and life goes on...

Collapse -
Don't Run Two AV Programs
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: restart ditto...

Never run two antivirus programs. This degrades performance, and normally they don't play well with each other. However, must malware programs don't restart computers these days.

Heat is more likely. Do what has been suggested, and make sure none of your fans have failed. If you take care of the dust, tie all loose wires together, and have no failing fans, and the problem still remains, it could be a bad power supply.

Collapse -
Do this
by mackman / April 10, 2006 4:56 AM PDT

Rt click my computer-properties-advanced-startup and recovery-settings and uncheck "automatic restart".
when the computer restarts go to the event viewer and research the trouble code, it will give you information to pin down the problem

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?