Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Responsive Design

by paul_sweb / October 4, 2012 12:56 AM PDT

A while ago I was introduced to Media Queries and Responsive Web Design. My immediate reaction was "Wow - this will future proof any new site I manage and ensure it looks great too".

I tried pitching this to my head of IT and he's thrown up some objections. I'd be interested to get some thoughts on these.

The main objection seems to be that Media Queries rely on CSS3, which is only available in IE9 onwards therefore as the majority of users are on older browsers, it makes the technology redundant.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Responsive Design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Responsive Design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At some point you have to dismiss IE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Responsive Design

Look at the charts for IE noted by http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/

It's really pathetic if you check it out. You either write forget HTLM5 and CSS or plow ahead thinking the future is really mobile devices and pads with Chrome or better browsers.

-> Know your market.
Bob

Collapse -
It does depend on your audience
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

There isn't a one solution fits all. If you have a website right now that you're thinking about redesigning, it would be best to analyze your current traffic to see how your user's browser capabilities break down. Then you can make an informed decision on how you want to approach this.

In terms of the actual technology, media queries and responsive designs are the way to go in terms of serving one website to multiple devices.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Audience
by paul_sweb / October 7, 2012 9:45 PM PDT

Interesting points.

I checked and last month we had just over 22% of visitors who used IE8 or older and looking further back this is a declining month on month number. To me this indicates that building a forward facing site is the way to go, and that users with older browsers are a declining share of our market.

Collapse -
That's a fair assessment
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Audience

and I would probably come to the same conclusion.

Maybe websites don't look as fantastic in older browsers, but as long as they remain functional and a visitor can retrieve the information they came for, I'd move ahead in providing the users with updated browsers the best possible experience.

You can even design a little banner for users with older browsers that you display to only them. Just let them know that there is a newer version of their browser out there or that there are alternatives that they can download if they are unable to upgrade. I don't like sites that force you to upgrade and or that pop-up a message left and right, but if you do it elegantly, there's nothing wrong with that.

Lastly, more and more users are increasingly visiting websites via a mobile device, so a good approach is to start designing/developing a website for those devices first and then expand to desktops. Here is a good resource: http://www.lukew.com/presos/preso.asp?26

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Responsive Design
by anirban09P / April 9, 2015 2:19 PM PDT

Responsive Web design is an approach whereby a designer creates a Web page that "responds to" or resizes itself depending on the type of device it is being seen through. That could be an oversized desktop computer monitor, a laptop, a 10-inch tablet, a 7-inch tablet, or a 4-inch smartphone screen.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!