Computer Help forum

General discussion

Resolution set to 1400x1050, but doesn't look correct.

by NavyGuy27 / November 28, 2009 12:01 PM PST

Hi folks. I'll try to make it quick. I have a Westinghouse LCM20v5 monitor, which supports a resolution up to 1400x1050. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS and I'm running Windows 7. For the longest time, I've always ran at a lower resolution, thinking for whatever reason, my stuff didn't support anything higher. One day I bought a cheap VGA KVM switch to play with another computer, and at some point in connecting the KVM up, my resolution magically turned to 1400x1050.

Fast forward to now. I unplugged the KVM to directly connect the monitor to my computer, via VGA, and my 1400x1050 resolution vanishes. I uninstall & reinstall NVIDIA drivers, I update to the current prerelease version, and even manually add the resolution 1400x1050x60/70. At this point, it gives me the option to set this resolution, but when it changes, it doesn't even look close to 1400x1050. I tried using 3 different VGA cables, tried using the DVI cable, and even tried reconnecting the KVM is multiple configurations, and nothing. It should be noted that when I run Ubuntu, I'm able to add and use the 1400x1050 resolution with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resolution set to 1400x1050, but doesn't look correct.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resolution set to 1400x1050, but doesn't look correct.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why not keep using the KVM?
by Kees Bakker / November 28, 2009 8:49 PM PST
Collapse -
It is...
by NavyGuy27 / November 28, 2009 9:00 PM PST

As I stated in the second part of my post, I reconnected the KVM setup to no avail. It's on the KVM right now actually, and the resolution is still smaller than what it should be at 1400x1050.

Collapse -
That's a common KVM glitch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: It is...

It's all to do with VGA signaling. There is a standard in VGA where the monitor sends its information back to the computer via the video card. MANY KVMs are broken in this respect.

SOMETIMES you can tell Windows "Hey, the monitor is a model such and such" to overcome the glitch. But who wants to do that?
Bob

Collapse -
Here is how I would approach this;
by ahtoi / November 29, 2009 2:13 AM PST

start with refresh rate of 60hz. and the resolution as close to 1400x1050 as possible. If it works, then move up the refresh a step and reset the resolution, and so on.

Don't use dvi..unless you want to lock in that 1400x1050 resolution. In that case, the computer video resolution got to be set equal or less than that. That's what I think. Good luck.

Collapse -
Currently...
by NavyGuy27 / November 29, 2009 5:23 AM PST

I'm currently at 1400x1050 with a refresh rate of 75Hz, which is all the monitor can support. Do you recommend I try going to a lower resolution, and seeing if things look differently?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?