Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Resolution problems with display

by Hobart187 / June 27, 2006 8:58 PM PDT

Im having issues with the display on my parents computer. They have a Vaio, running Xp sp2 to my best knowledge. Its at a little over 2GHz , with 256MB of Ram.

Now the problem i get into is when xp loads, it says system has low recources, and that i should check the display settings. I do this, and here's where im getting tossed for a loop.

First off I have a Nec flat panel screen that is in perfect working order, hooked up to laptop and had no issues. Also when i went into advanced settings, windows had switched the settings from what it was originally set at. So that no its not letting me have various screen resolution sizes that i used to be able to use. Im only able to select 400 by 600. And 16bit color quality is all its giving me now whereas i was getting 32 before.

Now i have gone in and installed several different drivers for this perticular NEC display, because the search didnt give me my model number in the search. So i used defaults with custom res. settings. This had gotten me back to where it used to be at, and where they wanted it to be. Old settings were set at 1024 by 768, and @ 32 bit color. Which the monitor fully supports. I was even reading up on the moniters default setting, and it was higher than what i was getting in my problem. Which was 800 by 600.

Now i was at this for a couple hours, i can get myself around a computer very well, not the most knowledgable, but id say intermidiate. Basically my neighborhood comes to me for their problems, and for the most part i can fix them. That is to tell you guys so you know ive tried quite a bit to get this fixed, and im getting some results but weird stuff keeps happening.

The stuff im talking about is what i told yall about before, the logon with the low recources. When i got done with the different drivers and finally got it optmized again, i had to restart it for the settings to become permenant. When i did that, everything i did was undone, and the recources problem was back. Now its really weird, because sometimes it will come up ok when you start it, and others it has the problem.

Im not even sure if it is the OS, it could be a hardware issue, thats why im coming here, you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable about things, and im willing to try anything once. Within reason.

Some backround on their usage on that computer. They mainly use it to check email, and surf the net. They are of the older generation that isn't much aware of internet threats, so i take care of them best i can. But its more of a, ''come in and fix this thing, its slow'' type deal. And ill find viruses and other things they let go.

It came with Pcillion or whatever it is, a play on pc and penacilin. Which rarely updates its library, so i installed what i use on my personal computers. which is AVG free, Ad-aware, and occasionally spybot. I usually use different programs because i find that if one doesnt pick something up another will.

Some things i did recently that could have caused the problem. Or rather some things that are in that computer that are causing it. I ran AVG, and it came back clean, as well as Pc-cillian. But when i went to Ad-aware, it was having problems even finishing. I knew there were problems right there. I found several registry problems, tracking cookies out the ... well you know, and adware/spyware. I had to scan each part of the computer to keep it running. Kept freezing up if id run all sections at once.

Guys im sorry this is so long, but it is a complex problem, or at least in my mind it is. Id really appreciate any input or any advice in which direction to take. Id also like to know if you guys think it is most likely a virus/malware or more likely the graphics card going out. And at this point i have no idea what it has in it.

Again, thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Hobart

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resolution problems with display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resolution problems with display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you wrote
by glb613 / June 27, 2006 9:08 PM PDT

''Now i have gone in and installed several different drivers for this perticular NEC display''

You said the monitor works fine with another computer so, that isn't the problem. Have you tried installing new video card drivers? Go to the manufacturer's web site and find the drivers for their model.

While you are at it, look into upgrading the memory. XP works better with 512 MB of RAM or greater.

Collapse -
It's not just
by Themisive / June 27, 2006 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: you wrote

The video drivers either.

Quite often problems like this can be traced back to new chipset drivers being needed on your mobo. Look at your mobo manual, it should tell you what chipset you have - for instance mine's a VIA KT400A - the first letters (in my case VIA) tell me it's made by VIA Technologies, the last alphanumeric sequence (KT400A) are the actual chipset number.

You need ALL of them. Google the first letters to get the manufaturer's website, then go to the downloads section for chipset drivers, now look for the chipset number, you should download the driver for this chipset and install it.

By all means do the same for the video card, but certainly, as the last poster suggested, also look into getting more RAM. 256Mb is NOT enough for Windodws XP, you need at least 512Mb for it to work properly, and if you are going to do use graphics programmes or do photo-editing, you are looking at around the 1Gb area, whilst for games you are looking at 1.5Gb and upwards.

Another point a lot of people don't realise is that the video card itself has RAM on it. Normally it's usually around 64Mb to 128Mb, with today's games you need up to 256Mb video RAM, and preferably a card that has it's own built in fan.

Collapse -
Thank You
by Hobart187 / June 28, 2006 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: It's not just

Those are both viable options, and i do plan on exploring them most likely tomorrow or the next day. And with that particular computer, nothing like photo editing, gaming, or really anything taxing takes place.

Oh and youre right about the memory, but i was wrong, it does have 512mb of pc-2100 DDR RAM in it, and i have talked to them about updating to at least 1GB, but they're not that excited about that idea. And by them i mean my parents, cause this is their computer, for those of you that didnt want to read all that i wrote, i know it was long winded.

But thanks for the input guys, i will try deffinatly. And will update as soon as i get a chance to get it all done.

But if anyone else has any other comments or suggestions, please dont hesitate to say them.

Appreciations in advance again.

Hobart

Collapse -
Both the other suggestions are good,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 28, 2006 8:32 PM PDT

but I'm interested in the error message, saying the system is low on resources.

You would think, logically, that "Low on resources" means something is running out, eg power, (from the laptop battery), disk space, memory, etc.

But in this case you say clearly it is something to do with Display Settings when you load XP. I don't know laptops at all, but I noticed you said that the NEC Flat Panel is hooked up to the laptop. Do you mean that the laptop is displaying on a separate screen? If so, how does it perform on its own screen?

If the NEC is a separate monitor, does it have it's own power source? Even if it does, is the laptop struggling to display on it's own and the separate monitor?

Just thinking out loud here.

Are there any other error messages you can see? What about the Event Viewer log?

For Event Viewer goto Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc and click OK. In the Event Viewer display, highlight both Application and System in turn, and look for any error/warning messages in the window on the right. If you see any, more information can be found by highlighting the error, right clicking it and selecting Properties.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!