Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

RESOLUTION (DPI) PROBLEMS

by miltonally / October 1, 2009 3:34 PM PDT

SET-UP IS A FOLLOWS: OS= VISTA HOME PREMIUM; COMP= hp m8300f W/ATHLON 64 x2 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR 6000+ 3.00ghz; 3 GB RAM; 32-BIT. I AM AHVING A PROBLEM CREATING A PROJECT IN MY "ARTSCOW" ACCOUNT. I GET A WARNING W/SOME OF THE PICS ARE NOT THE PROPER "DPI" THEY NEED TO AT LEAST "300 dpi"! WHEN I TAKE PICS MY DIGITAL CAMERA IS USUALLY SET TO AT LEAST 2048 X 1536 OR MORE. USUALLY I DOWNLOAD THE PICS STRAIGHT TO MY COMP. WHAT AM I NOT DOING? WHAT DO I DO TO GET WHERE I NEED TO GO? DO I HAVE A CAMERA SETTING PROBLEM? ANY/ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I KNOW, I'M MISSING SOMETHING SIMPLE. PLS NOT TO HVY W/DPI (DOTS PER INCH) EXPL'ION, BRAIN IN OVER-LOAD, TKS AGAIN.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RESOLUTION (DPI) PROBLEMS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RESOLUTION (DPI) PROBLEMS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Posting problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 8:49 PM PDT

Your message is so hard to read that I have to say good luck but please consider others when crafting your post.

Try using proper case and maybe a few paragraphs.

In closing, you can try IRFANVIEW (see google) to change a picture's DPI and see if that helps.
Bob

Collapse -
by miltonally / October 2, 2009 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Posting problems.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE (TRYING "Irfanview"). i guess you could tell it was my 1st post. thanks again.

i had problems while trying to design a photobook project with the online photo site "artscow.com".

each time i dragged an uploaded photo into the project i was trying to design, i got a warning that the photo was less than the required "300 dpi" for a decent print.

originally when i took the pics, my digital camera was set to take pics a not less than 2048 x 1536. after right clicking on some of the pics & checking their properties, some have a dpi of 72.

what do i need to do to get my saved pics to 300dpi? do i have a camera setting issue? or is there something else i'm missing?

or just maybe i need to take pics using a "RAW" or "TIFF" format in lieu of a "JPEG"

hopefully, this re-post is a bit more readable? tks again.

Collapse -
DPI is only used for printing
by ChuckT / October 2, 2009 2:29 PM PDT

There was a clue as to your dilemma in the message they are giving you, that being "a warning that the photo was less than the required "300 dpi" for a decent print

If you are using artscow for sending printable images to friends and family, then artscow is just giving you a warning, as in a suggestion that your printing may be less than satisfactory.

Note: I just read one of the FAQs at artscow,com. It said: "7. Image Requirements: Low resolution images may print poorly especially when enlarged. We recommend at least 200 DPI (dots per inch)."
So, evidently you CAN place images there at under 300DPI.

A camera does not care what the DPI is set to, and perhaps you can make a setting on the camera to set it to the suggested 300DPI. I think that many cameras have a preset DPI of 72, and that is just a setting. Changing the DPI should not affect the image at all. You can have a DPI of 1, or 2, or 72, or 300 or 600 or 1000, and none of those values will change the photo at all. Some older cameras may even have no value at all for a DPI.

All a DPI setting is used for is a simple calculation as to what the final hardcopy printed size will be IF the printing software uses that value to size the hardcopy. (Just think overall number of pixels divided by the DPI setting for the suggested hardcopy size. An image will 1500 pixels and a setting of 300DPI results to (1500/300=) 5 inches.

I would guess that the warning can be ignored, if you look closely at the websites warning message. If you chose to ignore, then having a too low DPI results (maybe) in a huge print out, and perhaps grainy or blocky. But, again, that depends upon what software you use, and if you allow the DPI setting to be used in the calculation of the printed output.

IrfanView is a fine program that can be used to modify the DPI setting to whatever number you like. Changing the DPI does not change the picture, and it does not change the number of pixels are in the picture. Use it.

Collapse -
by miltonally / October 4, 2009 1:23 AM PDT

THANK MUCH, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK. I HAVE LEARNED A LOT. I NEED TO LET IT SINK IN.

ONE LAST QUESTION FOR ChuckT; YOU MENTIONED, OVERALL NUMBER OF PIXELS DIVIDED BY THE DPI SETTING FOR THE SUGGESTED HARDCOPY SIZE.

MY IMAGES ARE (FOR IE) 2048 X 1536. DO I ADD THESE TWO NUMBERS (3584) THEN DIVIDE BY 300 (IE) IN ORDER TO GET THE APPROX PRINT SIZE?

IF YOU DON'T CARE TO RESPOND THATS OK, I'M PROBABLY MAKING TOO MUCH OF THIS ANYWAY.

AGAIN, I UNDERSTAND/APPRECIATE ALL YOU'VE SAID. I'M JUST TRYING, IN MY OWN WAY, TO TIE ALL THE INFO TOGETHER. SO THAT I CAN ENSURE AS HIGH A QUALITY PIC AS POSSIBLE.

MAYBE I'VE ANSWERED MY QUESTION. PERHAPS, IF I INCREASE THE CAMERA'S PIC TAKING QUALITY SETTINGS, THEN THE HARDCOPIES FROM ARTSCOW WILL IMPROVE.

THANKS, TAKE CARE. PEACE/HAPPINESS, ALWAYS

Collapse -
You are making too much of it
by ChuckT / October 4, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

Like you said, you are making too much of it.

(BY THE WAY STOP WITH THE ALL CAPS. WHEN USED ON A LOT OF TEXT IT MAKES ALL OF IT HARD TO READ. PLUS, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE TYPING "ANGRY!!"
Caps should only be used for either EMPHASIS or ANGRY.)

No, you do not add the pixels from the two directions, H&V (Horizontal and Vertical) to figure out the size. UNLESS you are trying to figure out the H&V size. If a picture has 2048 pixels in one direction, divided by 300 results in 6.82 inches. Than if there are 1536 pixels in the other direction, that results in 5.12 inches in that direction.

But that is ONLY if you have a setting of 300 DPI, AND the printing software uses that DPI setting to adjust the printed result. If you had any other DPI setting recorded in the picture, and your printing software overrode that setting to print out a size of 6.82x5.12 inches, the final result would be the same. Software does not have to follow the DPI setting, at least most have that provision.

Since I started with you are making too much of it, just where is it that is enough? That is where you get the result the you like or is acceptable to you. You either adjust up-wards or down-wards, within the range your picture has the detail for. You usually can not, or easily, print more detail, or with more smoothness, than the number of pixels you already have in the picture. That is why you should always take the pictures at the highest setting you can, and then you can always "toss" off the detail if there is too much, or it is not needed.

Collapse -
resolution problems
by miltonally / October 4, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

thanks for the input. i got it & i'm most appreciative. peace & happiness, ALWAYS!

Collapse -
Artscow
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 12:57 PM PDT

If you are trying to create the 12x12 inch book:

Artscow says that if you want to have a maximum size picture on a page, you should have a 3600 x 3600 (or higher) resolution photo.
For the front cover, have a 3702 x 4116 (or higher) resolution photo.

See this page:
http://www.artscow.com/Create/ShowProduct.aspx?ProductId=342

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?