Phones forum

General discussion

Resizing movies

by Lovamelin / June 15, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

I have some tidy little software that can resize clips I've taken wiht my camera from 640x480 to 320x240 quite splendidly. But I'm afraid to try out a whole movie on it with 4 gbs of VOB quality. What I'd like to do is take movies I've ripped to my hard drive (don't worry I own them too) and be able to convert them down to the 320x240 size for viewing on my pda. I have plenty of storage on it so no worries there either. It is a Dell Axim x51 and has Windows Media Player if that makes a difference in your recommendation, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resizing movies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resizing movies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I use is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Resizing movies

I use Virtual Dub. It may not be your cup of tea since you have to learn how to run it. I don't offer lessons on it but it's what I use and the price is free.

There is one issue and that you have a .VOB file which is a DVD encoded file. You may have to convert that to AVI first. I think I looked up VOB2AVI on google.com for a tool last time.

Bob

Collapse -
I Would also try Pocket DVD
by bigboy73 / June 18, 2007 1:41 AM PDT

It has always worked great for me simple controls and easy and fast to use.
Bigboy

Collapse -
Try This
by ddot / June 18, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

Here?s one way of doing it:

A VOB file is a container file which will hold a video track, one or more audio tracks, and possibly some subtitles track. From the VOB file you want to extract the video file and the chosen audio file. If you still have the original disk, you can rip out the MPEG-2 video file and the AC3 audio file directly from the disk. Something like SmartRipper would work for this. If you just want to work with the VOB file that?s already on your hard drive, the TMPG mpeg encoder has a built in splitter, although I?m sure there?s others if you Google around.

To play it back on a PDA, you?ll probably want to convert that AC3 audio track to something like a stereo MP3 file. Use the program BeSweet to make the MP3 file.

The regular version of VirtualDub won?t work (it can?t decode MPEG-2 video), but VirtualDubMod will. Import the MPEG-2 file, resize it (and any other filters that you may wish to apply), apply inverse telecine, compress it using your favorite video codec (something like DivX or Xvid would be good choices if you?re using a player that supports them, if you want to encode the video into Windows Media, try Googling for ?wmv9VCM?), and specify that MP3 file that was made in the last step as your audio stream.

Depending on how long the movie is and how fast your computer is, let it run for a few hours and you should have a move for your PDA.

Remember though, there are many ways of doing it, and above is just one (and free) way. Doom9.org offers some guides to DVD ripping, try reading though them for some ideas. Ripping a movie to your computer isn?t very different than ripping one for your PDA, it?s just smaller and you have to make sure the movie doesn?t become too complex for the PDA to handle.

Collapse -
try:)
by daslu / October 26, 2009 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Try This

As for me I use VidcropPRO

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?