Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Resisting Arrest Without Violence

by James Denison / September 28, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

Can you believe you can actually be charged with this when you weren't even being arrested for anything? Should this even be a charge, or has law enforcement gone over the edge, slid the slippery slope too far, when they came up with this one?

Here's an example where it was used for doing nothing really wrong, other than the officer getting angry over something perfectly legal to do. Time to bring back red coats with white crossed leather belts, maybe add some tall beaver hats too? Sounds more like the British soldiers vs Americans mid 1700's.

http://www.wftv.com/news/10234766/detail.html
In more than 25-percent of the 4000-plus cases Eyewitness News tracked, resisting was the only charge. That begs the question: if there's no arrest for something else how could they be resisting arrest?

David Bigney calls it, ??a terrible abuse of the system. It is an excuse to get somebody off their back in many cases."

And our investigation found prosecutors are rarely forced to prove the cases they pursue. 94-percent of the time the suspects pled guilty or no contest right away.

David Bigney says that it?s often seen as a ??fast way out. They can't afford a lawyer or they just want to get it over with, not realizing they potentially have a defense to the charges."

Of the 41 cases that did go to trial only 13 were found guilty.

Here's a list of offenders in this one county and when you start looking through the charges, a huge number have this "resisting arrest without violence". Ever met a police officer who wants to do all the talking, often as yelling, and refuses to hear/listen to anyone else? I suspect many of these charges are due to situations like that. This isn't Mayberry anymore!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resisting Arrest Without Violence
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resisting Arrest Without Violence
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree with the law
by Mike_Hanks / September 28, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

"Resisting without violence is governed by Florida Statutes 843.02 and requires proof of resisting, obstructing, or opposing a law enforcement officer performing a ?lawful execution of any legal duty?. "

If an officer tells you to stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken, that is a lawful command. It may be wrong or improper but the time to contest it is later in court or through civil action.

Officers that abuse their authority will be worked out of the system

Collapse -
Not my vision for America
by James Denison / September 28, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with the law

They are our servants, not our lords. They need to keep that in mind at all times.

Collapse -
RE: stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken,
by JP Bill / September 28, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with the law

stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken, that is a lawful command

?lawful execution of any legal duty?.

That's hilarious..."lawful?"

Under arrest for Resisting the Urge to cluck like a chicken.

Collapse -
Cops have a rough job...
by EdHannigan / September 28, 2010 1:54 AM PDT

and sometimes their judgment is off.

Collapse -
Very true.
by Mike_Hanks / September 28, 2010 3:05 AM PDT

There are plenty that shouldn't be cops

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?