Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

Resident Shield bug?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 6, 2010 12:32 PM PDT

Hi, I installed AVG Free 10.0.1120 on 10/4. Today, when I booted my machine, there was an alert symbol over AVG in the system tray.

I opened up the console, and it says residency shield is not active. I have confirmed that it actually is active in the Residency Shield settings.

I tried unchecking Residency Shield and rechecking it, but I continue to see this warning.

Everything was ok yesterday. Is this a bug or user error?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resident Shield bug?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resident Shield bug?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Resident Shield bug?
by Ondrej_AVG / October 6, 2010 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Resident Shield bug?

Hello Marc Bennett,

this situation is related with not loaded AVG virus database during computer startup. Loading failure is mostly caused by two culprits:
A) not enough operating memory during computer start up - do you have at least 512 MB RAM?

B) virus database file corruption - please check used disk for errors (chkdsk /F command)

With culprit A) is related also registry record "INITSTARTFAILED", which is in some cases created after it and blocks next startup. Please check these registry keys for it (menu Start -> Run -> enter "regedit" and confirm):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Avgldx86\Enum (x64 for 64bit OS)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Avgmfx86\Enum (x64 for 64bit OS)

What is the situation after running AVG update? And applies A) or B) to described state?

Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 7, 2010 2:04 AM PDT

I have 1GB RAM. I ran the update last night but that didn't have any affect. I'll check the registry and go from there.

Collapse -
It's ok now
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 7, 2010 1:10 PM PDT

I booted the machine up today and no longer see the messaging. Problem solved?

Collapse -
Re: It's ok now
by Ondrej_AVG / October 7, 2010 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: It's ok now

Hello Marc Bennett,

issue is solved for now, but for closer analysis of the reason (and possible overall consequences) it would be nice to have "avgupd.log" and "avgldr.log" from AVG log folder*:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\log

Windows Vista/Seven
C:\ProgramData\AVG10\log

Please compress them in an archive (zip file) and upload to favorite online storage.

Thank you

* Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders:
1. On the taskbar, click Start -> (Settings) -> Control Panel -> (Appearance and Personalization) -> Folder options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Click ?Show hidden files and folders? (the name may vary depending on the operating system).
4. Click OK.

Collapse -
Text files?
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 11, 2010 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: It's ok now

Are you referring to the text files with those names (.txt)?

I haven't had any more problems so far...

Collapse -
Re: Text files
by Ondrej_AVG / October 11, 2010 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Text files?

Hello Marc Bennett,

I am talking about "avgupd.log" and "avgldr.log" files - ".log" is also file with text content, but has not ".txt" extension, and better describe purpose of that file.

Thank you

Collapse -
empty files
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 12, 2010 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Text files

The .log files have 0 bytes.

Collapse -
Re: empty files
by Ondrej_AVG / October 12, 2010 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: empty files

Hello Marc Bennett,

empty (0 bytes) are *.log.lock files. Others (if related configuration file exists uncorrupted... some relations: nslog.cfg -> avgns.log; updlog.cfg -> avgupd.log; etc.) should have some size.

Quick idea - do you see all extensions?
1. Press the Windows logo key+R.
2. Type "control folders" into the opened window, and then click OK.
3. Click the View tab, and then clear "Hide extensions for known type" option.
4. Confirm OK.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.