Computer Help forum

General discussion

Reserved System Space

by DerfX / May 10, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

Another easy question, hopefully. While running Diskeeper on my external drives, I notice a large area marked as "Reserved System Space" that cannot be accessed or used. Since this is on an external drive in a USB enclosure, and I only use it as one form of file back-up, I don't think it really needs to have such a large area for "System Space" unless that is what is required when it is a SATA drive formatted in NTFS. Is that large area needed just for the FAT or is there a way to utilize some of that area, and two, since it is only a file back-up drive, and I can maintain its security otherwise, would I benefit space-wise by reformatting it to FAT32 instead of NTFS?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reserved System Space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reserved System Space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep it NTFS
by strickjh2005 / May 10, 2008 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Reserved System Space

NTFS is better for storage because it has a backup table of information. If the table in your MFT gets corrupted, the backup fixes it. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced_NTFS_Boot_and_MFT_Repair

If you are looking to squeeze space, try changing the cluster size to reduce the size of the MFT.

Most of that is going to be a page file, recycle bin, system restore points etc. But I noticed that a huge chunk of one of my empty drives shows up as about 15% system reserved, which is weird because there is nothing on the drive.

From what I see, I don't trust this software at all. The defrag can be done via windows for free, the boot time rearrange is in tunexp 1.5 and the fact that it costs money makes me doubt the seriousness of this product.

Collapse -
additionally...
by DerfX / May 10, 2008 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Keep it NTFS

...I disabled system restore on that drive because it has no real funtion when only my data files are on it. But it still seems like a lot of wasted space

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?