General discussion

Resentments of Forced Busing Continue 40 Years Later

White graduate only reunions. I suspect it's not the only one. Resentments of that time still exist. I also wonder if the black graduates of that school have had some of their own "black only" reunions. I guess trouble makers will be looking around now to try and find any other classes doing the same. Consider how many black youths dropped out of high school during those busing years who didn't graduate from the school they attended. They'd not be included anyway. Where I attended they started with 5 bus loads, but by the end of the first year of busing all had dropped out but 2 bus loads.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Resentments of Forced Busing Continue 40 Years Later
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Resentments of Forced Busing Continue 40 Years Later
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No first hand experience but witnessed the failure

of the grand experiment. I'd say those who devised the plan had their hearts in the right place but left their brains in the attic. My High School had maybe a dozen black students out of nearly 1000 students but this was before busing. Racial problems were only something we heard of elsewhere as all of us just got along without even thinking about it. Ignorance was bliss. When busing started in the larger city, most of the problems were logistic ones and these affected parents enough that many sought alternative schools so as to keep their children within easier transportation distance. Of course these people were labeled as being racist though, in most cases, it was far from the truth. I could believe that forced busing did more harm to race relations than it did good. We'd have been better off, IMO, had we allowed the races to mingle gradually than forcing it all at once. Unfortunately, that wouldn't have been sufficient for some of the people of that day who wanted more in their own lifetimes. That's just not always possible.

- Collapse -
Here's a brief history
What they fail to note while taking a hit at segregation, is that the black families WANTED to keep the high schools they had and DIDN'T want them closed. A protected community environment that was destroyed in tehe 70's, all for the same of satisfying white Liberals and white courts who once again thought they knew what was best for blacks. The shame was less the segregation, but the manner of integration. The foolishness was the concept that equality could only be achieved by integration, even if it destroyed communities and put black children on buses for hours each day, where one block went to one high school and the next to another and so on as the community was divided, a very Machiavellian approach, divide and conquer. The blacks didn't care for the New Reconstruction of the South than whites did, many even less. Maybe a case of being careful what you pray for?
- Collapse -
(NT) Wonder what the dropout rate was before busing?
- Collapse -
I don't know

but since they'd had mostly all black high schools in their own neighborhoods I suspect it wasn't the approximately 60% within the first year of busing that I observed. All the black high schools were shut down as substandard and neighborhoods there were divided up by blocks to the other mostly white high schools.

- Collapse -
I remember that the separate but equal

was what caused the busing in the first place. The white schools were big and modern with lots of books, etc. while the black schools were run down and didn't have enough books, etc.

I lived in California at the time so I don't know. When I did go to school in the south, it was base school or schools associated with military housing., so those were integrated anyway.

Diana

- Collapse -
the first high school

I attended there was near McDill air base, so was also integrated naturally due to military personnel children, no forced busing. There was no resentments I noticed either, that began with the forced busing.

- Collapse -
I didn't get the feeling that the parents of black students

wanted to see their kids bussed all over town either. If the schools in predominately black communities were substandard, that should have been fixed first and no student regardless of color should be asked to attend a second rate facility. In my city, busing no longer happens but most schools are naturally racially integrated because most neighborhoods are also racially integrated. That would have happened without forced busing. I think it's interesting that we have one school here that was specifically designed to center around African American culture. The school serves K-12 and bills itself as an "early college". Other "Africentric" schools exist in the US and Canada as well. So maybe, at least as far as education has evolved since "Brown versus Board", we tried forced integration but decided that in some cases voluntary segregation is acceptable.

CNET Forums