Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Resending messages already in the spooler - Linux.

I've recently setup a Linux mail server here at home and it is working successfully. However, I have a user that normally leaves messages on the server (collects email via pop3d) and now wants me, the admin, to resend a particular message. I can see the message they are after in the spool file - /var/spool/mail/username - but do not have a clue as to how to send this one particular message other than copying it and pasting it into a new email that will come from of course. However, the user wants it to retain its format so that should they choose to respond, the author would not be any the wiser.

Is this doable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resending messages already in the spooler - Linux.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resending messages already in the spooler - Linux.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell them to resend it.

In reply to: Resending messages already in the spooler - Linux.

It's on the server in their mailbox to do as they see fit. This is not something the admin will do.

-> Open their email client and if it's a great email client, press the resend button.

Bob

Collapse -
Cannot have them resending something they never sent!

In reply to: Tell them to resend it.

Okay, maybe I forgot something. This user has never logged on to the Linux machine and never will. And we are talking about messages they have RECEIVED - not sent - from another user somewhere on the net!

I have been googling for an answer in the meantime and found the following:

cat /var/spool/mail/USERNAME | formail -s sendmail -oem USERNAME

However, this will send all messages in the mailbox not a single message.

Any other suggestion?

Collapse -
That's called a REDIRECT, not a resend.

In reply to: Cannot have them resending something they never sent!

Over at slipstick.com they note an addon to Outlook to do such.

It's a feature of the email client software (yet un-named.)

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks. I'll readup on that.

In reply to: That's called a REDIRECT, not a resend.

Collapse -
Oops. I didn't mean it to read like that.

In reply to: That's called a REDIRECT, not a resend.

Yes, it could be called a resend. I'm just used to the REDIRECT method and name. Its not an "exact" duplicate however since you can't mimick the headers, source and all that.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.