Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Resend Undeliverable Messages

I am currently running Outlook 2003 on a Windows 2003 server. Our web host send emails from a form on one of our website's pages to the senior partner at my firm. I've told them at least twenty times that this will not work if they are masking the "sender" field with an address from within our domain (administrator). Despite this they keep ?fixing? the problem by changing the address of the sender to some other person in the domain. Typically it takes about a week of calling to initiate a week of ?fixing,? which results in a new error. I?d love to just tear into the website and re-write the form, but I?m just some law clerk in charge of calling in about problems and we pay Lexis Nexis the big bucks to .. well... suck.
In the meantime all the failed messages end up as undelivered mails in the Administrator?s mailbox (because the administrator is currently the ?sender?). I can log-in and re-send the emails and everything is fine, but this is annoying - I have to close all my work, log out, and log in as the administrator every hour or so and check through all the mail for form email and resend it -then log out, log in as me, and do my real job.

Is there a way, for the meantime, that I can just have outlook resend all emails that have an option to resend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resend Undeliverable Messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resend Undeliverable Messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with no.

In reply to: Resend Undeliverable Messages

Here's why. Because of the world wide spam epidemic many email servers will not honor such an email.

The lesson looks clear to me. Stop masking the "sender" field.
Bob

Collapse -
consensus

In reply to: I'm going with no.

that's what I thought. I knew I wasn't crazy. I didn't know that was why though.

They refuse to give the real address it comes from (it must come from somewhere!), but I got them to mask the sender with an address outside the domain. The server has to honor the emails now because it can't verify that whoever@whereever isn't the real sender.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.