Question

Research Question: Flash Cookies

Can web beacons help deliver flash cookies? I know that web beacons can help deliver regular browser cookies but am not familiar enough with flash cookies to figure out if the same applies to LSOs. Adobe's page on flash cookies just states that LSOs are "exactly like" browser cookies, but I hesitate to jump to conclusions.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Research Question: Flash Cookies
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Research Question: Flash Cookies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Probably not the right place

Probably not the right place to be asking this. Primarily because people here tend to be annoyed by the kinds of crap you're trying to pull. Cnet itself may be neutral on the whole topic, but I'm talking the individual members of this site. We're more interested in stopping people like you from bugging our computers than helping you do it more effectively.

Yes, yes, I know there are perfectly legitimate uses for those things, that most people would not find disagreeable... Still doesn't change the fact that when you talk about web beacons and the like, the primary function of which is to covertly spy on people, the odds of you using the info for one of those few legitimate purposes tends to go down significantly.

So you may want to try a more spam-friendly type of forum, and no, I won't give any suggestions.

- Collapse -
I beg to differ.

Oh, please. A little quick on the draw aren't you? I'm a law student with a science background. This is purely for research. The information I've compiled so far indicates that web beacons have the ability to help third-party trackers install cookies on a user's web browser, but there's nothing on whether or not the same applies for flash cookies. I can't imagine how asking after a simple yes/no type question would help anybody spam your computer. How is this question not neutral on its face?

CNET Forums