PC Hardware forum

Question

Request for Graphics Card Upgrade Suggestions

by nharbel / July 15, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

Hello. I am looking to upgrade my current graphics card to one that has an HDMI port. I have a Dell XPS 410 desktop with a 375 watt power supply. Can anyone suggest a decent card with 1GB of memory that will work with a 375 watt supply and fit into the $0 - 150 range? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Request for Graphics Card Upgrade Suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Request for Graphics Card Upgrade Suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 6:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Spare watts
by nharbel / July 15, 2011 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: The list.

What do you need to know in order to determine how many "spare watts" I have left.

Collapse -
Try a PC power supply calculator?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Spare watts
Collapse -
Answer
GTX 560
by rockyjohns / July 25, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

The THG article with the best video cards at different budget levels is an excellent source, but you should look at the July version instead of May. Why be outdated?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-4.html

I linked to the page recommending the GTX 560 at the $190 budget level. You can purchase an excellent brand, EVGA, of this card for $175, which would be an outstanding choice if your budget can stretch that far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

However you could also get a big bargain if you want to step back. The next slower card on the list, which shows as "check prices" but is above the best card for $155, is the GTX 460 768MB. This card is being discontinued and replaced by the GTX 550 Ti, so few are left and they are being sold off. I don't normally recommend factory re-certifed cards but in this situation I will since an EVGA card is available for only $120.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130600

You might also want to visit this site for instructions on how to upgrade video cards and general graphics card information:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/

You might also want to use this THG page that shows performance rankings for most mid-range video cards - and you might find the rest of the article informative:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-graphics,2977-3.html

Another page in that article shows power consumption for the cards. Both cards recommended above will work find on a 375w Dell PSU as long as you have not added some power hungry devices.

Collapse -
Ten days!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: GTX 560

As we don't edit posts, links get stale fast.

Thanks for the new link and note about the Watts.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
nVVIDIA 550 Ti works well in my XPS 410
by Ylani / December 16, 2011 3:58 AM PST

Hi. I have a Dell XPS 410 desktop that came with a 768MB NVIDIA 8800 GTX. The video card died and I replaced it with an EVGA GTX 550 Ti FPB 1 GB. Install was very smooth and card works just fine. The 550 Ti requires one 6-pin power connector (8800GTX was using 2). It has a mini-HDMI port so an adapter is needed which was not included. Wasn't sure if it was going to work at all because my power supply is only 375 Watt, but after reading that Dell underrates its power supplies I decided to give it a try - glad I did. Performance seems better than with previous card.

(My system has a quad-core 2.4 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, and a single hard drive.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!