General discussion

Req. assistance choosing a laptop

Good afternoon,

I'm looking for a laptop that fills certain specifications. I'm hoping some of you folks would be so kind as to share ideas or personal experiences with laptops that fit the bill, or let me know if I'm asking for too much.

The biggest limiting factor is battery life. I spend 5-6 hours a day between classes/meetings without a power outlet when the ability to work would improve my quality of life, so I'm looking for a laptop that fits the following specs while also getting 5 or more hours of battery life.
Must multitask, ideally running college level powerpoint presentations, word documents, and a web browser at the same time.
I have had very poor experiences with XP and Vista, and very positive experiences with 7, so, 7 is a must.
Obviously, I need at least enough hardware to run 7 and fit the bill for the multitasking above.
Smaller than 15" is a bonus.

My initial hope was to spend less than 400USD. I'm realizing this is looking unrealistic? The cheapest I could find to do this was Toshiba 13.3" T235D-S1340. Will this do what I am looking to get done? Is there cheaper out there? Do I need a more expensive setup?

Thank you in advance!

Ryan

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Req. assistance choosing a laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Req. assistance choosing a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
laptop or netbook

Hi Ryan,

Since it sounds like you are performing pretty basic tasks, you may want to consider a netbook. They will also better battery life. Would you consider a netbook?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

- Collapse -
Netbook

Hi there Isabella,

I would definitely consider a netbook. However, several people I have spoken to have indicated that a netbook would not be capable of running the three programs I need to run, all at the same time. Can you point out any netbooks you know for certain would run a relatively large power point, Office word document, and internet browser app all at once?

Ryan

- Collapse -
netbook

Hi there,

It's true that a netbook may struggle trying to run all three programs at once. You may be better off buying a less expensive laptop like Bob suggested. Is your budget very rigid? Increasing your budget will open up more options.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

- Collapse -
A netbook

Has it's own issues. I'm finding more folk that get one then the novelty and lack of performance has them looking for a laptop. Your issue with price and hours conflict. We can get Dells and other laptops for 399 but I fear you'll be unhappy with netbooks.

In fact if you get a netbook with say 4 hours of battery time my experience is that is 2 hours of real use.

Since the budget wins I have to give the nod to your average dell 399 buck laptop. See dell.com or walmart.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info