Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Republicans fell to Freddie Mac lobby pressure...

by grimgraphix / October 19, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

Freddie Mac secretly paid a Republican consulting firm $2 million to kill legislation that would have regulated and trimmed the mortgage finance giant and its sister company, Fannie Mae, three years before the government took control to prevent their collapse.

In the cross hairs of the campaign carried out by DCI of Washington were [only} Republican senators and a regulatory overhaul bill sponsored by Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb. DCI's chief executive is Doug Goodyear, whom John McCain's campaign later hired to manage the GOP convention in September.

McCain, R-Ariz., was not a target of the DCI campaign. He signed Hagel's letter and three weeks later signed on as a co-sponsor of the bill.

By the time McCain did so, however, DCI's effort had gone on for nine months and was on its way toward killing the bill.

In recent days, McCain has said Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were "one of the real catalysts, really the match that lit this fire" of the global credit crisis. McCain has accused Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama of taking advice from former executives of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and failing to see that the companies were heading for a meltdown.

McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, or his lobbying firm has taken more than $2 million from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac dating to 2000. In December, Freddie Mac contributed $250,000 to last month's GOP convention.

I don't think this reflects poorly on John McCain... however, this does illustrate how close the ties are between the political Lobby industry and political campaigns.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Republicans fell to Freddie Mac lobby pressure...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Republicans fell to Freddie Mac lobby pressure...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) bump
by grimgraphix / October 20, 2008 3:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
you bumped your own post?
by James Denison / October 20, 2008 3:58 AM PDT

even when nobody had replied to it? This isn't a yahoo free for all forum, you know?

Collapse -
;-D
by grimgraphix / October 20, 2008 4:13 AM PDT

I thought it appropriate to bump it back up, especially in the light of my other post about how Bush et al. is now pushing for a stimulus package after publicly disavowing the need for one last week. You see, I am just fascinated by the blame game that has been played out by both parties, during this time of economic crisis. A little "reality" was in order IMHO, even if no one wants to admit it happened.

As for this not being a free for all... You are joking, right ? Ever since the restraints against political posts were relaxed, I have seen more Bull **** topics and conspiracy theories being posted as "serious discussions" than before the ban took place.

Aside fromm all that, can you show me in the TOS where I am forbidden from bumping my own post?

Collapse -
no TOS that I know of, but...
by James Denison / October 20, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ;-D

...seems sort of pitiful to bump one's own post that got no replies as it slipped down the front page, especially with no new material to add to it. If there had been some new material, that would have been understandable, but just an empty "bump"? </shaking head in disbelief!>

Collapse -
(NT) lmao... ;-D
by grimgraphix / October 20, 2008 4:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Economic crisis...
by J. Vega / October 20, 2008 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: ;-D

You are concerned with the economic crisis, and the reply to "Joe" talking about the views of a teacher talking about conditions in southern West Virginia didn't catch your eye?
I brought up that subject more than once in the long past. It's too bad you missed them. One response, by a Moderator no less, Positively stunned me senseless.

Collapse -
what is this turning into?!
by James Denison / October 20, 2008 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Economic crisis...

the thread about attentionless posts that slipped into ignominy?

Collapse -
I must have missed that one.
by grimgraphix / October 20, 2008 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Economic crisis...

You could have "bumped" it my way. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe Mr Vega is not into self bumping
by critic411 / October 20, 2008 7:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
At least he's not a cross-bumper, lol.
by James Denison / October 20, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

He hasn't bumped Vega's thread yet.

"I started a thread
that started the whole world crying,
Oh, if I'd only known,
that the thread was on me, ohhh nooo."
Bee Gees (interpreted)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!