Speakeasy forum

Rant

Republicans and racism

by JP Bill / November 9, 2014 5:39 AM PST

As GOP Swept Congress, Black Republicans Took Home Historic Wins

Steele, the first black chairman of the RNC, is notable himself. He says these rising stars will follow the lead of former representatives Allen West and J.C. Watts, who, like other black Republicans, faced suspicion from many black voters.

"You still have to deal with the stereotype that somehow if you're a black Republican, you're not a real black person," he says.

But Steele adds there are also legitimate questions about his party's commitment to racial diversity.

Legitimate questions?

To me, that means he thinks there IS racism in the Republican party.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Republicans and racism
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Republicans and racism
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a pretty far reach
by TONI H / November 9, 2014 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Republicans and racism

even for you.........

He adds 'there are also legitimate questions about his party's commitment to racial diversity'.....

That could be anything from re-establishing charter schools that BO and other Dems shut down... to doing away with the affirmative action across the rest of the states now that SCOTUS has ruled on that issue for Michigan ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-reverses-decision-that-tossed-out-michigans-ban-on-racial-preferences/2014/04/22/44177ad6-9d8f-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html ) in order to make things really equal... to again setting up trade schools where blacks, whether high school grads or not, can get training for good quality jobs....to reaching out into the black communities locally to find out what they feel they actually need rather than promising hand-outs, etc.

That's not, as YOU think, that HE thinks there IS racism in the Republican Party.... that's actually an opportunity to let blacks and other minorities finally see that Republicans care about their REAL welfare on a personal level rather than on a governmental control level.

Collapse -
RE:That's a pretty far reach -even for you.
by JP Bill / November 9, 2014 10:32 AM PST

THEN you go on to

BO and other Dems shut down.

FOCUS Toni...focus....

This thread is supposed to be about Republicans and racism, just as you requested me to do. You want to talk about BO and the Dems...start a new discussion.

I suppose his judgement is clouded...I mean he is a black man in the republican party, as a white woman you will tell him if/when there is racism in the republican party.

Collapse -
What are you talking about?
by TONI H / November 9, 2014 10:56 AM PST

I pointed out some of the "legitimate questions" that might concern Republicans with regard to blacks and other minorities.........YOU were the one who took your post to an entirely new speculative level of what YOU thought he was talking about, when it was obvious that he hadn't stated ANY. YOU went negative with your speculation in order to 'prove' your proof post that Republicans are racist hypocrites........I went the other direction AND stayed focused.

My being black or white (which you really aren't positive about, are you, unless you have done a search on Coryphaeus' web page with forum members' pictures) has absolutely nothing to do with my statements. Does your 'attack' on me mean you are a racist or are against women having an opinion or are you condemning me for being a white woman or are you accusing ME of being a racist because you think I believe I know better than the black man who is part of the Republican Party so I have to interpret his words?

Collapse -
RE:.I went the other direction AND stayed focused.
by JP Bill / November 9, 2014 11:06 AM PST

Then explain where "BO and other dems" come into your focus.

Collapse -
I was giving examples, JP
by TONI H / November 9, 2014 7:40 PM PST

of things that perhaps Steele meant that the Republicans can do to help blacks and minorities

Collapse -
REThat could be anything from re-establishing charter school
by JP Bill / November 9, 2014 10:37 PM PST
GOP stop at school possibily violates ethics code

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -

Republican candidates running for statewide and legislative offices stopped at a public charter school, where they were greeted by the student body, while traveling on a campaign bus tour.

The Spokesman-Review reports that the Oct. 24 visit raises questions over whether the stop violated Idaho's education ethics code. The code forbids schools from promoting political candidates or political activities.
Collapse -
And your point is?
by TONI H / November 9, 2014 11:14 PM PST

I don't know about other states' rules but here in my locality the schools are actually voting poll areas and campaign speeches are also held there as are primary debates so it would be pretty hard to keep politicians out of them. Perhaps as the school administrator said, it wasn't a campaign 'trick' or photo op, but rather something else, like wanting information about how well that school was or wasn't doing.

In any event, it has nothing to do with how BO immediately closed all the DC charter schools when he took office (DC parents are still upset about it), and Cuomo of NYC closed a large number of his. Ironically, those schools are the only ones NOT unionized..........coincidence? I think not....and even though most of them have great records for at risk kids, this administration and followers of his haven't cared enough about their 'voters' to allow them to stay open. Dem Hypocricy....since he never even gave a reasonable reason for closing them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?