Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Republican National Committee Census Form Scam

by Ziks511 / January 28, 2010 11:12 AM PST
http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/9918/republican-national-committee-sends-out-fake-census-letter-to-raise-money

The RNC has sent out fake Census Forms asking slanted questions and using an official looking format with things like OFFICIAL DOCUMENT DO NOT DESTROY, and ending with a statement soliciting contributions to the RNC.

I don't know anything about burnt orange except that its a political blog, and is probably a better source for people here than MSNBC.

Try and imagine what people would be saying if this was the Democratic Party. You'd gleefully be all over them beating them about the head and neck.

Rob
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Republican National Committee Census Form Scam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Republican National Committee Census Form Scam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Original Politico.com article
by Ziks511 / January 28, 2010 11:20 AM PST
Collapse -
That's better
by Dango517 / January 28, 2010 11:53 AM PST

that original source was a bit shaky. At least both sides are up in arms about this stunt.

Collapse -
Not much to it...
by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: That's better

It's a standards fundraising letter that's been used for years and it CLEARLY says it's for the Republican Party. Big deal.

It might pose a problem for people who can't read too well.

Collapse -
By the way, "scam" implies illegal activity.
by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Not much to it...

Fraud or a swindle. This does not fit the definition.

Collapse -
And a Census is
by JP Bill / January 28, 2010 12:31 PM PST

An official, usually periodic enumeration of a population, often including the collection of related demographic information.

No mention of "generous contributions" in definition of Census.

Collapse -
extracting information via
by jonah jones / January 28, 2010 5:21 PM PST

fraudulent means (and asking for money) isn't a "scam" ?

Collapse -
Fraudulent means?
by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 8:01 PM PST

It clearly states on the letter that it is the Republican Party.

I get mail all theh time that "looks" like something official. This is nothing unusual. They do it to make you open the thing instead of just discarding it.

If it was fraudulent, charges would have been filed years ago.

Collapse -
A scam is a deliberately misleading operation purporting to
by Ziks511 / January 28, 2010 6:34 PM PST

be one thing while actually being about another, i.e. collecting donations to the Republican National Committee.

Since your antennae are so finely tuned to any hint of chicanery I thought you'd be all over this. Just as you were so quick to point out that most of the footage shot in Acorn offices was unusable because the offices offered no cooperation and in Philadelphia called the police on the scam artists.

Rob

Collapse -
unrelated
by James Denison / January 28, 2010 6:58 PM PST

Big difference between a cute advertising campaign and outright illegal activity like ACORN was engaging in.

Collapse -
Perhaps, but dictionaries can be pesky beasts ...
by Bill Osler / January 28, 2010 7:30 PM PST

This is the definition I found, though it probably is not the only viable definition:
A scam is an illegal trick, usually with the purpose of getting money from people or avoiding paying tax

I admit I sometimes use the word 'scam' in contexts where the 'trick' part is critical but the 'illegal' part is uncertain. Still, if you are going to insist on dictionary definitions then perhaps you should be more careful with your language.

And BTW: I don't think you ever cited any sources for your claim that the majority of ACORN offices did not buy in to the couple posing as people illegally looking for financial assistance. I have not seen any reports that your description is accurate.

Collapse -
Apparantly you don't need to be that smart to
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2010 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: Not much to it...

be a poll taker either. It was reported on the news the other evening that you just need to pass a 28 question test. A passing grade is 10 out of 28 correct answers. You may retake the test once per day until you pass.

Collapse -
It is worth noting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 6:49 PM PST

that in your 2nd link from politico.com, the first paragraph says;

"Officials of both parties are sharply criticizing a fundraising mailing from Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele they say could be confused with official correspondence regarding this year?s census."

So, criticism from both sides.

Mark

Collapse -
The BBB
by James Denison / January 28, 2010 5:34 PM PST

Are you sure RNC is behind the one you mention? Here's one supposedly from the BBB.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/jan/25/bbb-warns-of-census-e-mail-scam/

"An e-mail posing as a scam alert from the Better Business Bureau has been spreading false information about the 2010 census.

?They should discount it,? Glenna Friedrich, president of the San Angelo BBB, said about people who received the e-mail. ?Don?t pay any attention to it.?

The BBB posted a warning about the e-mail on its Web site, along with some facts about the census, such as that the 10 questions on the form should take about 10 minutes to fill out.

Friedrich advised people to go to the census Web site, www.census2010.gov, for any questions...Stewart said the e-mail, if put out with bad intentions, might be part of a ?fringe political? movement that believes the census process violates rights to privacy."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?