Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Reposting for Nev without the

by roddy32 / August 24, 2005 6:23 AM PDT

hint of the expletive in the title and I'm deleting the original.

"What is happening with the sudden rash of Virus Updates .. for NIS 2005 .. totalling well over 8mb in the last day and a half .. following a long period of time with only one or two approx. 150kb updates per week ?

Can it be assumed that someone in Symantec / Norton has dropped a boll*** er, made an error ... and a lot of the previous updates have not been reaching us, as they should have done ?

I am not denigrating the program, which works well for me .. just wondering what is happening.

Cheers

Nev "

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reposting for Nev without the
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reposting for Nev without the
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps your question should
by roddy32 / August 24, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

be asked to Symantec. Most of the antivirus programs have been updating more lately because if a rash of viruses but as far as Symantec updating too much I wouldn't know the answer.

Collapse -
Contacting Symantec et al ..
by Nev / August 24, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

Hi Roddy,

Many thanks for your reply ..

Whilst being a bit of a resource-hog, their program is fine and has efficiently kept my system safe from attack .. but unfortunately their helpdesk is not as efficient as it might be.

Judging from past experience, contacting Symantec to ask them a simple question, is a long, involved and usually a totally fruitless exercise.

Other friends have also noticed this sudden flurry of activity .. I just wondered if any readers of CNET had any ideas.

Cheers

Nev

Collapse -
Apologies Roddy ..
by Nev / August 24, 2005 6:28 AM PDT

It was a male chicken .. nothing stronger .. no offense intended at all !! Happy

Cheers

Nev

Collapse -
I use NAV but not NIS and
by roddy32 / August 24, 2005 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Apologies Roddy ..

NAV has had updates 2 days in a row because of virus outbreaks. I THINK that NIS also had an update for the firewall a day or 2 ago which might explain where the rest of it came from. Normally NAV updates the Live Updates for the home user once a week unless there are category 2 viruses or higher so they release extra updates when that is the case. The updates in the last 2 days included 6 category 2 virus detections, hence the extra updates. The time to worry is when they do NOT update. Happy

This link shows what was added recently as far as virus definitions.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.added.html

Collapse -
The time to worry is when they do NOT update.
by Nev / August 24, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

True .. and although I did double check I wasn't missing anything, I was a little concerned as to whether all had been OK with their updating system over the past few weeks.

Perhaps Symantec and the Guild of Virus Writers came to an agreement to take a few weeks off, so that they could all go on their Summer holidays !! Wink

Seriously though, thanks for the info ..

Cheers

Nev

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Nev.
by roddy32 / August 24, 2005 6:51 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.