Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Reposted For 1999farfer: Start-Up options

by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 2:09 AM PDT

Connie posted this at the bottom of the "Tips For Computer Newbies" thread. It will get more responses and more correctly belongs as a separate subject. I'll repost it here:

Dear Grif,

We are now legal and running a genunine copy of Windows XP Professional. I used the registry # that Microsoft sent us. We also ereceived a disc from them that includes the update to service pack 2. So, I am now in the process of getting my computer ready for the upgrade. Have printed out your recommendations for preparation (which will be extremely helpful....thanks)

However, I have looked all your forum to find an answer to my question and can't find it. Question is: on Add/Remove programs I have a whole list of Microsof updates listed. Since they are already installed, I think I can safely delete them. But am not sure....should I delete these or are they to be kept in Add/Remove forever?

Thanks for your help.
Connie

Posted by: 1999farfer (see profile) - 08/24/2005 8:36 AM

Hope this helps.

Grif

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reposted For 1999farfer: Start-Up options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reposted For 1999farfer: Start-Up options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connie, If You Still Need To Install SP2...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 2:21 AM PDT

..then your should NOT remove/uninstall all the Windows "updates" listed in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs. Removing them from the Add/Remove Programs list will cause them to be UNINSTALLED. You don't really want that..

Besides, when you install Service Pack 2, if I remember correctly, the Add/Remove Programs listing will be corrected and only SP2 will show up. Those previous updates will be removed.

That said, even though the Add/Remove Programs list will be recreated and look correct, those updates are still stored on your computer in the C:\Windows folder. Opening the C:\Windows folder will show a whole bunch of "$NtUninstall" folders which contain each of the previous updates..It's entirely up to you and I would certainly make sure that everything is running correctly after you install SP2, but you can delete those previously needed "$NtUninstall" folders and create more space on the hard drive. Here's a link to one such instruction which can be used AFTER you install SP2 and when you are clear that it's running fine and doesn't need to be uninstalled or restored back..

http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

Be careful and wait a couple of months before doing this, IF that's what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Add/Remove Programs Updates
by 1999farfer / August 24, 2005 5:59 AM PDT

Dear Grif,

Thank you, thank you!!! I will definitely NOT remove windows updates form Add/Remove Programs. You saved me much heartache.

After installing SP2, I think it best to just leave as is.

One other question..... Most of our data and program files are on C drive. Do you recommend moving all data files to D and just keep program files on C? Is there a simple way to transfer?

I did a test and moved ''Connie Files'', within ''My Documents, to D, then I clicked on to ''My Documents'' on the desktop and made a shortcut to D ''Connie Files'' so that when I save a document it would go to the ''Connie Files'' on D. Seems to me there is a simplier way. Your comments are appreciated very much. Thank you.
Connie

Collapse -
Connie, Drive D vs Drive C
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

First, we need to know if D & C drives are actually two separate hard drives or are they partitions on the same hard drive? Next, how much space do each of them contain?

Everyone has a slightly different opinion on this one so hopefully others will give you ideas to. This is just my way of doing it.

First, IF drive D has lots of free space, then you can move all sorts of data to it so it won't take up space on the C drive. Preferably, place data, songs, pictures, etc. that aren't accessed too often. I would leave all your program files plus the "My Documents" folder containing frequently accessed files on the C drive. Because "My Documents" is a "default" folder for saving files to, I leave it right where Windows put it. Frequently, it can't be moved anyway. Also, keeping the programs on the C drive is good because many programs won't run correctly if placed on anything but the C drive..

From now on, whenever you create a new document or save a file to the computer, choose the D drive folders to save them to. There are lots of ways to do that. I do it during the "Save As" process. During the "Save As" process, simply use the drop down arrow next to the "Save In" line to navigate to the D drive folder of your choice. You'll need to first create new folders on the D drive by opening the drive, RIGHT click on a blank area, choose "New", select "Folder", then name the folder to something you prefer..like "Connies Files" or something similar. Create multiple folders...one for "Connies Music", "Connies Pictures", etc.

Most importantly, whether you put the files on the C or D drives, DON'T FORGET to make backups to CD's. If the computer quits tomorrow what would you do if you lost that data?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
C and D Drive
by 1999farfer / August 25, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

Dear Grif,

Yes, we have 2 separate hard drives. I am going to take your advice and leave programs and My Documents (by trying,I found out that you can't move it as you advised) on C Drive. Have already started moving jpg's, photos and files of that nature to D. We have lots and lots of space on D.

I know you gave instructions to save ocuments to D. However, if I understand you correctly, by leaving ''My Documents'' on C I won't need to do that. This may be a basic question... but should I just leave documents (Word, Excel, etc.) on C along with the programs and back up documents as needed? Thus, not creating ''Connie's XP Documents on D?

Am doing some ''cleanup'' before installing SP2 such as deleting alot of jpg's, and other files that we don't really need. Right before installing I will follow your instructions. I've got to take the plunge and install SP2 or ''cleaning'' will take forever...ha!

Thanks for all your help and will let you know how the installation went.

Best regards,
Conie

Collapse -
Connie, It's Up To You...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: C and D Drive

If you have lots of personal documents which are saved to the "My Documents" folder, you may want to move them over to the D drive...If you only have a few, or if you want to keep those that you frequently use in the C drive "My Documents" folder, then that's all right too.

It's all personal choice..

And good luck with the update to SP2..It's about time! LOL

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Connie, After You've Installed SP2...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 6:38 AM PDT

...You may have already planned on doing this, but immediately after installing SP2 BE SURE to visit the Windows Update site and get current...There are LOTS of updates after SP2.

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
Relocation/installation.
by Cursorcowboy / August 24, 2005 10:46 PM PDT
Most of our data and program files are on C drive. Do you recommend moving all data files to D and just keep program files on C? Is there a simple way to transfer?

You'll find by paying attention when something is manually installed that the installation program generally asks where to install as well as where to place the subsequent shortcut to run it - I never opt for any option such as "Install now" or anything similar since I want whatever I'm fooling with to be downloaded to a folder I choose and then installed when I want. Very few exceptions have I found a lack of options and the C:\Program Files folder was used anyway, such as: Java, WMP, WindowsUpdates, DirectX, and a few others. Every other program I've installed went to another drive or partition other than C:\.

I hope you understand that once an installation has taken place, relocating afterwards can be a horrendous task even if possible.

Jerry Honeycutt describes in his article "Microsoft
Collapse -
Drives
by 1999farfer / August 25, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

Dear Cursorcowboy,

Thanks for your post. When manually installing I usually put downloads in a folder on the desktop and like you, install when I want.

I went to your recommended site and did some reading which I will get back to (bookmarked the site). I will take Grif's advice and keep programs on C and put miscellaneous files on D. We do have 2 separate drives.
I am almost finishing ''cleaning up'' before installing Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

Regards,
Connie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.