Cameras forum

General discussion

Reports of unstable Kodak software??

I am in the market for the best 4 to 5 MPx camera available, and have been slewed from choosing Kodak because of widespread reports of unreliable and buggy software. After reading many reviews, I will probably opt for the Canon A80. Do you users have any comments on this choice? Oh, and this will be my first digital camera, so I would like to get it right first up!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reports of unstable Kodak software??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reports of unstable Kodak software??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

In reply to: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

Just a comment. Any USB connected device will be labeled unreliable as many machines are not ready to use USB.

As to unavailable software, my dad's 3 plus year old Kodak doesn't have a CD for Windows XP. You have to fish around on the web site and there it is.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

In reply to: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

Kodak has recently released a newer version of their software. You can download it for free at their website.

Canon just announced:
that the 4 meg A80 has been replaced with the 5 meg A90.
that the 3 meg A75 has been replaced with the 4 meg A85.

Regarding camera maker's software:

I have three digital cameras: Olympus, Canon, and Konica/Minolta. I do not use any of the software that came with the cameras.
There is better software available.

For downloading to the computer I bought a card reader. I just insert the memory card and see it as another disk drive on my computer. I use Windows Explorer to put the photos where I want them.

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 for photo manipulation.
One very stable program for three different cameras.

Collapse -
So one should await the Canon A90?

In reply to: Re: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

Thank you for the information provided. It seems that I should hold off until the Canon A90 becomes available here in Australia. I assume that it will feature the swivelling LCD screen of the A80?

Collapse -
My Mistake - It is A95

In reply to: So one should await the Canon A90?

Collapse -
Joe, which SmartCard reader do you use: USB?

In reply to: My Mistake - It is A95

Collapse -
Re: Joe, which SmartCard reader do you use: USB?

In reply to: Joe, which SmartCard reader do you use: USB?

Most flash card readers are USB now.

They are inexpensive here in the USA.

I bought mine here:

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAM#Flash%20Card%20Readers

Scroll down to the "Flash Card Readers"

I find it more convenient than connecting a camera to the computer. If you are using Windows XP, you don't even have to load drivers. They come with drivers for Win98.

Collapse -
I prefer using the camera's software.

In reply to: Re: Reports of unstable Kodak software??

In my Nikon's case, it preserves the meta information attached to the picture. I'm also not sure that it doesn't do some post processing of the image. Once the image is transferred to the computer, then I work with it using third party software. I also eliminate the need to attach something else to the computer, and avoid wear and tear on the memory card.

Does a card reader preserve the meta data?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ...Yes...

In reply to: I prefer using the camera's software.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.