Question

Reporting Malware when no link to do so is on product page

I revisited a product page to see if anyone else had experienced a malware download with the app. Sure enough, my same identical problem had been posted by another. Editor's page says to click a malware link under "Quick Specs" on the product page. That link does not exist on that page. Mozilla Firefox folks helped me remove the malware from their browser add-ons after I uninstalled the bad add-ons that highjacked the browser. The other poster who reported it had to have Apple help him.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Reporting Malware when no link to do so is on product page
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Reporting Malware when no link to do so is on product page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It's gotten so bad that I accept that most sites shovel it.
- Collapse -
I'm on a mac but...

Thanks. I appreciate your sending the link for a windows-freeware site. I'll see if they also have freeware for Macs. I should have been much clearer on that in my initial post.

- Collapse -
How about this?
- Collapse -
Thanks for the Lifehacker tip.

I'm bookmarking the link to check out further. Appreciate it.

- Collapse -
Answer
Thanks for reporting it, maxglitz1. However ..

Hi maxlitz1,

Thanks for reporting it, as you indicated you would, in your reply to boblack2034aa's comment within the reviews for MacTubes. I'm so sorry to read of the problems you experienced, as a result of visiting Download.com. Sad

However, your problem would best be served at the "Download.com site feedback" forum. They need to (continually) be made aware of it. Or at least IMO, they do.

It's why I'm going to request your post be transferred there.

Thanks again!!
Carol

- Collapse -
Thanks, Carol

I thought Cnet and Downloads.com were linked so closely in some way that would make this post suitable here, but will take your good suggestion to go to your provided link. THANKS.

- Collapse -
Answer
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Many software titles on our site do use the Download.com Installer, which securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer also shows offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners. Some individual software publishers include such offers in their own installers too.

All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download. You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download, but you will want to keep a close eye out to be sure you see and have a chance to select the decline or opt-out option for any third party offers you do not want.

Although you cannot avoid using a software publisher's own installer when downloading their program, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/1hjhgMb

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

If you would like us to re-test any particular download, please send us a report with additional information and our Product Management Team will investigate. To send a report, just fill out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

This support form, and our FAQ section, is accessible by clicking the "Download Help Center" link in the dark gray "footer" at the very bottom of Download.com (in the "More" column), or by clicking the "Help Center" link at the very bottom of any other CNET web pages (also in the "More" column there).

In the "Description" section of the form, please be sure to include all of the following information:

1. The link to the Download.com page for the specific program you downloaded

2. What operating system you are running

3. What browser and which version you used to download

4. What country you were located in at the time

5. What antivirus software you have installed, if any

6. The specific flag, warning, or detection you saw, and/or the names of any additional programs that were installed

When you are done filling out the form, click the "Submit" button. You will receive an automated confirmation email right away, and a message from our support team will follow, usually within 24 business hours.

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

CNET Forums