Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reporting incorrect HDD size

I have Win XP Pro with all updates. Just got a new HDD. A Samsung SP1604N. The BIOS in my Lanparty KT400A, reports the drive correctly as 160GB in size. But XP only shows it as 137,427,943,424 or 127GB. What can I do to get the entire drive recognized?

Thanks,

~Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reporting incorrect HDD size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reporting incorrect HDD size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trick question.

In reply to: Reporting incorrect HDD size

Did you use XP Pro to do the install?

Yes, you get only 127GB!

Why? Because XP Pro only supports this size on install.

You need a XP Pro SP1 or SP2 CD to get the full size on install.

This and more mysteries solved at http://www.48bitlba.com

Bob

PS!!! DO NOT FIX THIS UNTIL YOU GET YOUR XP PRO SP2 CD.

Collapse -
So then I must...

In reply to: Trick question.

...go out and buy a new XP Pro operating system with SP-2 already on it before this drive can be recognized in it's true size? I'm not sure I can follow the technospeak on that site you listed. Thanks very much for the reply.

~Dave

Collapse -
Just sharing.

In reply to: So then I must...

Collapse -
I guess..

In reply to: Just sharing.

..guys like me shouldn't mess with tech stuff because I do not understand a lot of it. And at 60 years, I'm not nearly the sharpest tack in the box. I thank you for your advice, but can see myself just letting XP rip off the unreported GB's.

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
No, just get SP2

In reply to: So then I must...

If you have cable internet service, you can download it from Microsoft's windows update site. If you are using a dialup connection, order the CD. BTW, the CD is free. Install the update and see if your computer recognizes the hard drive's correct and full size.

Collapse -
Service packs?

I have installed XP on a 160 and 200 gig drive using XP with no service packs. It could only see 120 gig of the drive and never worked correctly even later after the service packs were installed.

If XP had SP1 or SP2 at the time of install, the full drive size was recognized.

My guess is you need to slipsteam SP2 into your Windows disk and reinstall with the service pack already in, not added later.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

This makes it easy.

Collapse -
Well I...

In reply to: Service packs?

...will try to make sense of this, but doubt if I'll have much luck. I appreciate all the great advise, but can see that this is likely out of my league.

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
Reply;

In reply to: Well I...

Why don't you install SP2 and give it a try anyway. Or does MS won't let you do it? After you install sp2 then be sure to partition and format the remaining HDD.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did your bios see the 160GB and 200GB disk?

In reply to: Service packs?

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: (NT) Did your bios see the 160GB and 200GB disk?

And the issue is very well known. Have you read the responses?

Collapse -
I just find it curios that ...

In reply to: Yes.

xp can't do what win2k can do. With win2000, all it need was a patch downloaded from MS.

Collapse -
Me too.

In reply to: I just find it curios that ...

I realize you can't fight "city hall" so to speak. But it seems really odd to me as well, that simply installing SP-2 wouldn't fix the problem. But there must be some mystical reason why the OS would have to be installed with SP-2 already included for the drives to be recognized. I figured that the drive size would be taken from the BIOS. It just floors me that the drive is recognized in it's entirety in there, but XP Pro limits it in this way.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll go get a copy of XP with the correct SP.

~Dave

Collapse -
Again, the OS CD when booted ...

In reply to: Me too.

Doesn't have the SP needed and... you can only see that much disk space. The supplied link and the discussion here noted this.

If you add SP2 (or SP1) then the new disk space can be partitioned, formatted and put to use.

-> It would be a REALLY BAD IDEA to apply SP1/2, use Partition Magic to upsize C: to over 127GB. Here's why. Any glitch and your bootable XP (no SP) CD can't be used to do the repairs.

Bob

Collapse -
You're right.

In reply to: Again, the OS CD when booted ...

I would have to get a copy of XP Pro with the SP-2 and then completely reformat my drive and reinstall everything AGAIN, in order for it to recognize my whole drive. Another gift from Micro$oft. Shocked(

~Dave

Collapse -
Not so fast.

In reply to: You're right.

The XP CD (without SP1/2) is from a time when there were no drives over 127GB. Just like Windows 98 has no support for such a drive.

Your ire is uncalled for.

-> As to a totel reinstall, that is also uncalled for. One can simply add SP1/2 (I always go with SP2), then use the new space.

-> Also, one can get the XP SP2 CD then pass on the reinstall and use a tool like Partition Magic to upsize the volume now that we have the right XP SP2 CD to accomplish repairs.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry...

In reply to: Not so fast.

...I guess that was a knee-jerk reaction. So now that I have installed all updates including SP-2, how do I get the remainder of the drive recognized? I need to buy Partition Magic?

~Dave

Collapse -
Depends on your definition and need.

In reply to: Sorry...

In this thread I noted the site with all the answers at http://www.48bitlba.com

-> After SP1/2, you can run the disk management tool to create a new partition then format it for use as you see fit.

If you want one large drive C:, we already discussed that.

Bob

Collapse -
While we're on the subject...

I want to relate a little experience of my; I guess about 8 months ago, I got a 160GB. HDD. But because my computer's bios didn't recogize anything above 127GB. I had to install a PCI ide controller with a bios that recognize HDD. above 127GB.

Just recently I bought a portable HDD. case with USB2 interface (backward compatible) and everything works just as advertised. But now I got this controller with nothing connected to it; so I was curious. What happen if I remove it?

Guess what? Something unexpected happened (at least to me). The HDD. was recognized whole (all 160GB. of it) WITHOUT the bios/controller. Go figure.

Collapse -
Computers...

In reply to: While we're on the subject...

...are a lot smarter than we think. And they have a mean streak.

~Dave

Collapse -
Service Pack Again

In reply to: Computers...

If you do not want to get a new CD or slipstream yours.
Leave the drive as 127 gig.
But after adding SP1 or SP2, you can go to drive management and Partiton and Format the remaining part of the drive as another drive letter. It will not be all one Drive this way but the space will be useable.

As far a using partiton magic to EXPAND the drive to take in all the 160GIG, well I tried it once and XP was very unstable. The drive was slow to access and sometimes things wouldn't work at all.

Completely started over with a slipstreamed disc with SP2 already in and it was fine.

If you are using a restore disk, you are in sad shape here. I have found that using an OEM version with your legal product key will work for a re-install.

You will have to provide the drivers etc. and it will not have all the bells and whistles that come with a HP or Compaq etc.

Some of us like that fact.

You could borrow an XP OEM disk with SP1 or SP2 already in it if you know someone who has one.
You could even make a copy. But use your own product key. It is legal to slipstream the service packs, even Microsoft tells you how.

You must still keep your original software CD and license.

This might be at the edge of what some would consider legal, but if your machine comes with XP home OEM from Dell or HP and you use a copy with your Product key, Microsoft should not complain about you doing this.

I have done it for others that could not locate a restore disk when they needed it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.