Cameras forum

General discussion

Reported today on nbc news

by Fish / January 17, 2006 7:09 AM PST

POSTED: 2:31 pm EST January 17, 2006

Digital Cameras Have Defective Chip

Sales of digital cameras are at an all time high, but now there's a defective chip that's been discovered.

Seven major digital camera makers are using a bad chip that could fail in hot, humid conditions.

So on your next vacation to a warm climate your camera could produce black and white or distorted color images.

Nikon, Sony, Canon and Fuji are among the manufacturers who used the chip.

If you have the problem, consumer advocates urge you to call and ask for a replacement camera.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reported today on nbc news
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reported today on nbc news
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
camera chips
by Fish / January 17, 2006 7:13 AM PST

I'll be sweating this one out for sure.
I bought a new canon Jan. 9th.Fish Sad

Collapse -
Link to story
by Fish / January 17, 2006 7:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Not too many details
by mrobzo / January 17, 2006 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Link to story

That article is lacking information. I know for sure that Fuji makes their own chip. So how does that fit in?

Collapse -
Your guess
by Fish / January 17, 2006 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Not too many details

is as good as mine.I don't know anything other than what's in the news report.I'v been looking for news else where but nothing yet.
I have a 90 day return option on my new camera but I really don't want to give it up.Im real pleased with it and think I will just use it and hope for the best.
I would guess Canon will make good on any problems.

Collapse -
Sounds like old news.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 11:21 AM PST

I think NBC news may have stumbled across some old news.

Four or five months ago, it was reported that a certain batch of Sony sensors was confirmed to be prone to failure because of a manufacturing error.

Apparently the sensors were not sealed properly.
The failure was that the camera would fail to take photos and the LCD would be blank. Some cameras suffered less drastic results, with the colors in the photos going haywire.

Not all of the cameras were expected to fail.

The cameras affected were three to four years old.
All the camera companies involved said they would fix any camera that failed, for free. It was implied that Sony would be absorbing part of the cost.

Each camera company identified their affected line of cameras.

I would disregard NBC's "news" until a new failure component is identified by other news agencies.

Collapse -
Snap shot
by Fish / January 17, 2006 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Sounds like old news.

your post is very good news.I certainly hope this is the case.

Collapse -
Don"t worry about it!
by mrobzo / January 18, 2006 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Snap shot

Forget that report and buy a camera. Snapshot has the facts correct. It is old news.

Collapse -
The fact is !
by jump1127 / January 19, 2006 3:38 PM PST

I've been using my Canon EOS 20D in Thailand since January 2005, where the temperature is very hot and humid nearly all year round ( average around 30 C or 90 something F ). The camera hasn't shown any problem when shooting outdoor at all even now when the warranty is nearly expired. Thus, this is the fact that the information is somewhat misleading !

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?