General discussion

ReplayTV Help.. component outputs w/Toshiba HDTV

Not sure if anyone can educate me here. I've owned a ReplayTV 5040 for some time now, and it works great. I just got a Toshiba 52HMX94 HDTV, which has "Colorstream" component inputs. I know it's an HDTV, but Replay's progressive outputs still support 480p and should be able to hook up to an HDTV. But when I tried hooking up the component outputs to the Toshiba's "Colorstream" component inputs, the video signal wasn't translating. I was getting a color frenzy/distorted picture (almost like those old scrambled cable nudie channels). Is there a compatability problem here with "Colorstream" component inputs? Again, the Replay's component outputs are 480p, so I don't know what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ReplayTV Help.. component outputs w/Toshiba HDTV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ReplayTV Help.. component outputs w/Toshiba HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ReplayTV Help

I have a normal crt sanyo 32" and a dvd with progressive scan. when I use the component video ouput/inputs and I turn the progresive scan option on (the dvd player) I get that scrambled signal look on the screen before it goes to the blank blue screen. I haven't seen anything that would suggest the tv is capable of 480p. I know our situations are diferent but I hope this helps you track down your trouble.

- Collapse -
RE: ReplayTV Help

Yeah, I went through the ReplayTV setup, to account for the change to the component outputs. But it didn't really have a specific 'setting' for the progressive out (that I could see). It's possible I've missed something. I'll try again later tonight.

- Collapse -
re

even though your tv can do progressive scanning it doesn't mean that it can support HD signals. Many tv's that are progressive scanning will not do hd

- Collapse -
?????

You got it all backwards. My TV is HD. My ReplayTV unit is not. I know my Replay unit will not record HD signals, but it will record (and dispaly on HDTV) standard definition. I was having problems with my progressive outputs to the TV (it should play recorded SD shows at 480p). I think I missed something during my ReplayTV setup process when I hooked up the components.

But I don't know what you were talking about in your post.. I think you misunderstood my initial post.

- Collapse -
Problem Solved

Yes, it was my ReplayTV settings. Problem fixed!

CNET Forums

Forum Info