HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Replacing Processor on Socket 754 motherboard

by OldOldRelayer / July 21, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

Among all the other options I am thinking of, I am considering replacing my CPU to solve a problem of the computer just shutting down for no good reason. I can't isolate it to a heat problem, it can happen shortly after I boot up or a long time after, sometime it will just keep happening and sometimes it just happens once. I actually bought a system that is going back because it doesn't work and my system I built way back, I am thinking I feel better with something I know about. On Ebay they have some direct replacements, but I am thinking if I go through all the bother of replacing it, I want something a little better. Most of the better AMD 64 that are faster are Socket 939, I am not sure, but I think that is the number of pins? Does anyone know what is the maximum upgrade I can use for a Socket 754?

Thanks,
Barry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing Processor on Socket 754 motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing Processor on Socket 754 motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Using the website
by deniceels / July 21, 2009 3:01 AM PDT

of AMD,

http://products.amd.com/en-us/desktopcpuresult.aspx?f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=754&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=1600&f10=False&f11=False

the highest possible is a Athlon 3700+ at 89w, which of course depends on whether your board actually goes up to that, and if not, whether there's a bios update for it. And yes, there is a difference in pin numbers and wattage. This is assumption as you did not provide with the board manufacturer and model number, thus, served as a guide only.

As for shutting down, a few possible reasons, one being the fan cooling the processor is not contacting properly or overclocking without properly cooled or memory module issues (ram bus speed is actually not meeting the minimum speed). Another could be software which you last installed giving this problem. These are some in which you could look into. Most important is tracing the problem, or even getting a new processor may not solve the actual underlying problem at all. Hope it helps.

Collapse -
CPU upgrade depends almost exclusively on the MB
by VAPCMD / July 21, 2009 8:06 AM PDT

We'd need the MB mfg name, model number, revision, if any, and MB BIOS.

Could be the MB itself....like bad capacitors aka 'bad caps'.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks guys
by OldOldRelayer / July 21, 2009 9:53 PM PDT

As you can tell I am trying to look at this from all angles, if I don't really have to change, I am happy with what I have but for this problem. As far as other problems with the mother board, I don't know how to troubleshoot those kind of problems.

In any event, this is the information about the MB from Everest.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer BBM-5I376EOEMVN
Generator Administrator
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 5.0.2195 (Win2000 Retail)
Date 2009-07-22
Time 07:48

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-0406-000002-00101111-080304-Hammer$A0058002_BIOS DATE: 08/03/04 13:27:05 VER: 08.00.09
Motherboard Name Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock 200 MHz
Effective Clock 200 MHz
HyperTransport Clock 800 MHz

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 130 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 259 MHz
Bandwidth 2073 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 754
Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi
RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset K8T800
Extra Features Asus Intelligence, JumperFree, Q-Fan, Stepless Freq Selection, Ultra-ATA/133, SATA, RAID

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
BIOS Download

Collapse -
The Athlon 3700+ is the max here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 10:08 PM PDT

Be sure to use the AMD supplied heat sink and fan or better.

However the Athlon 3700+ is rather tough to find now and I found that for the money you likely just want to do nothing with any 754 system.
Bob

Collapse -
Firstly is
by deniceels / July 21, 2009 10:29 PM PDT

recall the last time you were using the system without the problem.

1) Did you download, install, surf, read a suspicious email from any website? A malware, virus could be causing this, thus, scan it to ensure its clean before going to hardware.

2) Memory: Are all the slots used? If not, remove all but 1, test it on each slot and restarting the system. Repeat the process. If new module was added and that's the start of the problem, remove it first, check the bios settings for them. Ensure it's speed is correct for the board.

3) Processor/Fan: Is the fan seating properly on the processor? Is the bios detecting the correct settings as stated on the processor/box.

4) Add-on card: Reseat them again, ensuring all connections are secured properly, especially graphic cards.

5) Dust: Spring clean away dust/dirt culmulation. Leave the cover open and see if it stops the restarting. Possible poor air ventilation. Add a desk fan to give it additional ventilation to see if it helps.

Collapse -
addium
by deniceels / July 21, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Firstly is

6) Clear the dust from the psu fan... another place to look at

Collapse -
Thanks for all the great advice
by OldOldRelayer / July 22, 2009 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: addium

Some of these things I have tried but others I haven't. Today it doesn't seem to be a problem, I turned it one did a few things, went out for about 3 hours and it still was running.

I suppose you are right about putting money into a MB that is this old when there is better available.

As, I have stated I am not really unhappy with the system when it works, which is most of the time, but some days I can't get anything done.

I do bounce off the walls a little, mainly because I don't want to spend money needlessly, I can't really do that. I have this thought of buying a system that is fairly comparable to what I have with XP - Pro for cheap money and start loading it up, so when this system finally dies I will have something immediately running. I don't necessarily have to have the latest and greatest and I don't do any games, although I would like to be able edit Video, which I can't do very well with my present system. My system is worth nothing but it is good for parts, I just put in a nice 550w power supply and not too long ago replaced the hard drive all things that would be good to have spare. Stupid idea? Something like this is what I am thinking, the price seems good to me, but that is because I am out of touch, there seem to be a ton of these kind of system.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-FAST-PRO-DELL-P4-2-8-GHZ-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-WIN-XP-2_W0QQitemZ230357660507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item35a262f35b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|293%3A1|294%3A50

Thanks again guys for the help,
Barry

Collapse -
I discovered something
by OldOldRelayer / July 25, 2009 6:58 AM PDT

As I mentioned before, this problem isn't consistent and sometime I can go a week and not have it happen. My usual mode in using the computer is pretty light, an email client and a browser and not much more. When this first happened, I wasn't using my development system, just a few text programs, I was writing something and had a few programs open, it didn't seem very taxing. But earlier this week I tried getting some work done for something that will need to be released on Monday. This is quite taxing and in fact way back I had to go to NT and later to Window 2000 because windows couldn't do and NT breezed, where I couldn't open one development and one run time execution of the program I was working on, win 2000 would probably do 10 without a sweat. Earlier in the week I started to work and the system crashed, I put it aside and the whole rest of the week no problem. Today I opened my Development system, ran the very large run time file that I have been working on for 15 years, checking the data with Access and looking at an ancillary file with a text editor and down she went. Tried it again with the same results. To get through the work, I opened the development system, made some changes, compiled the program and existed the dev system and ran the program and checked the results with Access and it worked fine.

I think I have narrowed the problem to memory or memory management. Memory is cheap now a days especially the older stuff, so I don't mind trying to change it to see if that is the problem, I would rather do that than rebuild the system if it were the OS.

I did upgrade from 1GB to 2GB about a year and a 1/2 ago, I wouldn't mind having 4GB, but for some reason even though 32 bits is enough to address 4GB apparently only 3GB shows in wind 2000. I am not sure if this just a reporting issue and there really is 4GB usuable or only 3. I only have two slots, I am not even sure you can buy 2GB modules for this old of a system. Although even a working 2GB would be fine.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks for all your help,
Barry

Collapse -
My older Athlon 64 3700+ is fading fast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2009 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I discovered something

I may try that 20 buck sempron but frankly it may not be worth doing. I know it's either the CPU or the motherboard but my old machine is now 5+ years old and it may be time to move it out. Another symptom is a constant CPU load of 20% even when in Linux. It is borkenend.
Bob

Collapse -
It sounds like
by deniceels / July 25, 2009 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I discovered something

a fair software overloading/overworking to me. I used to have that with my 8yearold rambus 1.8GHz at 3/4 GB memory. What I did was to give it a fresh restart by giving it a good spring cleaning of the fans (vaccummed the psu fan and the surrounding casings, dust off the cpu fan, between the capacitors on the board and cards), reload the whole OS (with WinXP SP2, jump straight to SP3 update without the intermediate patches done until after), reinstall all I need (subsequently those I'll use but infrequent like pdf reader). And at the end, it works for me.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by OldOldRelayer / July 26, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: It sounds like

I will try all those things, with the exception of what I really should do which is to reload the OS, geeze I hate to think about that, it takes me a year to get everything running after a reload. I did buy one of those reg clean type programs to see if that might help, of course it didn't. It sounds like your opinion is that changing or adding memory will do nothing and your probably right, that would be too easy. I didn't mention one thing during all of this, I don't close my case, about 5 years ago, I found I was always taking them off for one reason or another, so I just left them off. I am thinking this would be a good thing, a lot more air flow, but then I sometimes think that the design may be compromised in some way and actually not be good for air flow, I don't really know.

Thanks again,
Barry

Collapse -
I am so stupid
by OldOldRelayer / July 26, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply.

Your post made me really think of all the simple things I hadn't thought of. Like checking the CPU temperature, which believe it or not I had not done. When I did I almost fell on the floor it was it was 203 degrees Fahrenheit. I shut the system down immediately. Although I had checked to see if the CPU fan was running I never looked any further. I took a flashlight and looked into the fan, behind the fan there is a heatsink with these very closely spaced fins that were totally blocked with dust and whatever. Now it is running at 115F, I am not sure what it should be but I know that it wasn't 203. I was lucky nothing seemed to have burnt out, I will keep my eye on such things in the further.

Thanks you so much for the help you have all been, saved me several hundred dollars.

Barry

Collapse -
Might be OK to put the side on again now that you've cleaned
by VAPCMD / July 26, 2009 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I am so stupid

up the HS dust bowl.

Might also try PCWizard 2009...download, install, run and minimize. It will continuously show the CPU temp and fan RPMs in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Rerun something that failed previously and observe the temps.

VAPCMD

PS...might want to run some compressed air into the PSU...probably clogged up there too.

Collapse -
Will do

You have to love a cheap fix.

Thanks,
Barry

Collapse -
Agree
by deniceels / July 26, 2009 6:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Will do

and more so, a good pampering of something which you rely heavily on goes a long way. Also ensure the area the system is placed is of adequate ventilation and, best, not on the floor where dust usually settles most of the time, thus drawing in much quicker when comparing placing it on an elevated location.

Collapse -
(NT) Add 'smart' to 'cheap' and that describes it.
by VAPCMD / July 26, 2009 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Will do
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.