Computer Help forum

General discussion

Replacing power supply on a Dell Inspiron 518

The PSU that came with it is a 300 watt. I purchased a 400 watt not knowing for sure if they needed to be the same wattage. I do have a PSU from another computer that is 250 watts. Could someone let me know if I can only use a 300 watt to replace it? Could i use the lower wattage one i have? Are there any other stipulations I should know about? Also recommendations on where to get a decent PSU online with free and or faster delivery?

thank you very much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing power supply on a Dell Inspiron 518
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing power supply on a Dell Inspiron 518
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power supplies shipped with a factory PC . . .

In reply to: Replacing power supply on a Dell Inspiron 518

are usually minimal. Increasing capacity will do no harm, and in fact, your system will run better. Go for the 400 or larger.

Very few on line outlets ship for free for so small an amount.

Collapse -
Power supply

In reply to: Power supplies shipped with a factory PC . . .

The threads online also said exactly what you have said about going to a higher wattage thats why I bought the 400 watt. But when i removed my PSU and started to put in the 400 watt there was 2 additional cord plug ins and i didnt know where to plug them in. I called Dell to walk me through it and they said I had to stay with a 300 watt. And honestly I am not computer saavy at all but replacing the power supply seemed relatively easy to do so I am trying to do it myself. Do you have any other suggestions or information you could give me? And for some eason I am having trouble findng a 300 watt psu unless i purchase online. I would rather just find a place to pick one up. I didnt know if the lower wattages are harder to find.

thanks for helping me

Collapse -
Check and verify

In reply to: Power supply

Using a generic ATX-12V higher wattage PSU isn't going to hurt your PC. You will need to plug-in all the connections that *DELL wants* and it isn't uncommon to have extra unused plug-ins due to the needs of later PCs. Yours just won't need them, they're extra at least for your PC. Dell's response is typical as they CYA themselves, but if you had brought a Dell specific PSU rated for such use, it would be usually more expensive but it works. Understand, you need the same physical PSU size and at least the 300W or better for replacement using other generic PSUs available. If you like shop locally with old PSU in hand and ask for replacement. More than likely it would be a higher wattage unit, anyways. Don't fret they work OK. If you haven't taken out the old PSU, mark or label what goes where for ease of replacement. Then on new one, use similar plug-ins. It's relatively an easy swap, just pay attention to details and recheck all work before power-ON.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Starting think it may be something else..

In reply to: Check and verify

********This is my original post on here...********

Dell Inspiron 518 dektop not powering up

by lisacoulston - April 1, 2011 1:07 AM PDT

I have noticed the past week my desktop would, after a certain amount of idle time, go into power save mode but power off which is abnormal. I went to turn it on and the blue power light would not turn on. I then held the power button and an orange-ish light would flash while i was holding the button and make a strange noise with the flashing light. I tried unplugging the power from wall, power strip, and back of computer (there is a green light on underneath power cord on back of computer). Swapped out power cord. Tried powering up again and no lights, tried a few minutes later and went back to the blinking light as i am holding in the button. Not a computer girl and unemployed and would love some help please!

Dell Inspiron 518 purchased jan 2009
intel core 2 quad
windows vista
sorry not sure what info you may need

Thank you soooooooo much!!

Re: desktop not powering up
by Kees_B - April 1, 2011 1:19 AM PDT

In Reply to: Dell Inspiron 518 dektop not powering up by lisacoulston

If you're not a computer girl, I doubt if you are an electronics girl. If you were, you would be able to replace the defective part (either the PSU or the motherboard) yourself. If you aren't, you need a tech to do it. Your local computer repair shop would be the first place to go to. After that, maybe Dell tech support can send theirs.

So I went and purchased the following psu which had 2 extra plug ins that the other 300 watt didnt have. Called Dell for advice and they said I could only use another 300 watt. All info I have found online said this PSU was fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=526D7E802F12BDBE61CDAA22794582B6.bbolsp-app03-47?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7779720742207680490&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=PSU&sc=Global&goButton.x=18&goButton.y=11&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

**********************************************************************************
Followed above advice plugged all in except the 2 extra cords. NO power. Then i tried the new psu on a really old pc to make sure it wasnt a bad psu (i had heard of this happening)but it did start up the fan and i was able to turn on power.

So with my very limited knowledge I am starting to believe its something else and wanted some feedback on other possibilities or maybe other suggestions on what i may have missed thus far. (motherboard?, actual power button?)

I am just trying to do as much as i can to avoid taking it in because i have no income so all suggestions/help is appreciated

thank you I have been learning alot

Collapse -
Yep to Willy . . .

In reply to: Power supply

Some motherboards have an extra connector, four pins, that may be needed. If your motherboard only has the (I believe) 12 pin connector, plug it up. No harm, leave the extra plug stored away. It's really simple, don't over-analyze it. Plug in what needs to be plugged in. You cannot plug a wrong plug into a wrong connector. Aside from RAM, power supplies are fool proof.

Collapse -
Starting to think it is something else

In reply to: Yep to Willy . . .

********This is my original post on here...********

Dell Inspiron 518 dektop not powering up

by lisacoulston - April 1, 2011 1:07 AM PDT

I have noticed the past week my desktop would, after a certain amount of idle time, go into power save mode but power off which is abnormal. I went to turn it on and the blue power light would not turn on. I then held the power button and an orange-ish light would flash while i was holding the button and make a strange noise with the flashing light. I tried unplugging the power from wall, power strip, and back of computer (there is a green light on underneath power cord on back of computer). Swapped out power cord. Tried powering up again and no lights, tried a few minutes later and went back to the blinking light as i am holding in the button. Not a computer girl and unemployed and would love some help please!

Dell Inspiron 518 purchased jan 2009
intel core 2 quad
windows vista
sorry not sure what info you may need

Thank you soooooooo much!!

Re: desktop not powering up
by Kees_B - April 1, 2011 1:19 AM PDT

In Reply to: Dell Inspiron 518 dektop not powering up by lisacoulston

If you're not a computer girl, I doubt if you are an electronics girl. If you were, you would be able to replace the defective part (either the PSU or the motherboard) yourself. If you aren't, you need a tech to do it. Your local computer repair shop would be the first place to go to. After that, maybe Dell tech support can send theirs.

So I went and purchased the following psu which had 2 extra plug ins that the other 300 watt didnt have. Called Dell for advice and they said I could only use another 300 watt. All info I have found online said this PSU was fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=526D7E802F12BDBE61CDAA22794582B6.bbolsp-app03-47?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7779720742207680490&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=PSU&sc=Global&goButton.x=18&goButton.y=11&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

**********************************************************************************
Followed above advice plugged all in except the 2 extra cords. NO power. Then i tried the new psu on a really old pc to make sure it wasnt a bad psu (i had heard of this happening)but it did start up the fan and i was able to turn on power.

So with my very limited knowledge I am starting to believe its something else and wanted some feedback on other possibilities or maybe other suggestions on what i may have missed thus far. (motherboard?, actual power button?)

I am just trying to do as much as i can to avoid taking it in because i have no income so all suggestions/help is appreciated

thank you I have been learning alot

Collapse -
Duplicated discussion.

In reply to: Replacing power supply on a Dell Inspiron 518

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!