PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Replacing PCMCIA or Network Adapter

by shmay7 / August 23, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

A rather generic questions:

It appears that I am having a hardware problem with my PCMCIA Adapter on my Presario 2100 laptop. I would like to replace it myself, if possible.

I am inquiring as to how monumental of a task this is. Does anyone know of a link that describes the process so that I can determine if it is something that I want to take on?

Also, where would I determine just what hardware I need? I did a quick search on the Compaq/HP website and saw nothing pertinent.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing PCMCIA or Network Adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing PCMCIA or Network Adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even an uber tech would bow to one who did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

The rest of us will replace the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Some Days...
by shmay7 / August 23, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

...I read this board just to see how you respond to some issues! I have to admit, you have me laughing on this one.

Thanks Bob.

Next question. How involved is replacing the mother board? Is it a mother of a task for someone who has what amounts to an intermediate level of knowledge, but loves to learn and work through it myself (with the help of this forum, of course!)?

Collapse -
For that, most laptops, just a person that is ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Some Days...
Collapse -
I Am Qualified!
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

Well, I consider myself careful and mindful, but I guess that I should ask those that know me!

I'll have a look at the posts and determine if I am willing to give it a go.

Might be cheaper(especially if I were to have it dignosed first)and definitely easier to buy a new laptop. This one's just about 3 years old, but was hoping to make it to the holidays with it.

And I do like a challenge and learning something new.

Thanks for your help Bob, and even for the sarcasm.

Collapse -
It was not the "s" word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I Am Qualified!

It was my failed attempt (your view) that such work is in the outer limits of engineering and technical expertise. While I have replaced 200+ pin flat pack devices in my days it was never something I enjoyed and the equipment costs were well beyond that of the most expensive laptop you will see from hp, sony, compaq or other maker.

A little humor please.

Bob

Collapse -
The "s" word was...
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 12:14 PM PDT

...not the correct word and I realized it after I wrote it. Understood fully the message that you were trying to convey and apprecited it...as well as some of the "h" word along the way.

Collapse -
please clarify
by linkit / August 23, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

Do you mean that you want to replace the PCMCIA slot itself or just a PCMCIA card that fits into the slot?

If you are having problems with a particular PCMCIA card (or PC Card), tell us the model number of that card and what specific problem you are having.

Many hardware problems are solved by downloading and installing the latest system BIOS and drivers from the computer maker's website. Updating XP to SP2 and running Windows Update also solves many problems. You may also benefit from downloading and installing the latest firmware update and driver from the PCMCIA card maker.

There are USB 2.0 network adapters (wired or wirless) that can do the same job as a PCMCIA network adapter.

Collapse -
please clarify (correction)
by linkit / August 23, 2006 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: please clarify

Many hardware problems are solved...

Should read as:

Many suspected hardware problems...

Collapse -
This Was A Product Of A Wireless Question
by shmay7 / August 23, 2006 1:32 PM PDT

Thank you both for your replies!

Yes, I am referring to the slot, not a PCMCIA card.

The original question that I posed to the forum can be found here(along with all of my computer/system/issue information):
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=200640&start=0

Although I have yet to receive any replies from that, susequently, I was trying to get information from a Compaq/HP Tech. He linked me to a BIOS update, which I loaded, and still was/am getting no response.

The Tech said that it now appeared to be a hardware issue and I should take the computer to an authorised dealer and have it diagnosed and repaired. I like to try to learn how to do things and do it myself. Hence, the second posting to this forum, which you have replied to.

Any and all information that you could provide is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you.

Collapse -
Before we swap the mainboard do you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 10:06 PM PDT

Wipe the drive and use their restore CDs for that laptop?

Bob

Collapse -
I Don't Think So
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 6:49 AM PDT

Can guess at "wipe the drive", but it's not too educated of a guess. Could you please elaborate.

I currently reside overseas, am back in the States for a few months, and in my infinite wisdom, did not bring any of my orginal/support materials with me as I was SURE that I would not have a need for them.

Thanks for being patient with me. I am still shooting for a software resolution on this, but that is dwindling monent by moment.

Collapse -
As in causing it to have no content so a that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I Don't Think So

A clean restore of the OS can be done.

Time and time again I've encounterd OS damage that no one I've found can repair or more rightly so that no one would pay for the day or so to track it down. For example I showed one owner that a new drive and it's fresh install worked fine but the old OS and drive did not. We all knew the OS had an issue but how long would it take to find and fix?

Microsoft has not made this easy so take that up with them.

Bob

Collapse -
So you think that there's a chance
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 11:05 AM PDT

that the OS is causing this? A good chance? I understand that a lot is impossible for you to know from "there", but based on your experience?

If that were the case, would restoring to a point,say, one month ago help? Would an OS update be the reason that the OS is creating a problem now, when it was not a few days ago?

Sorry for the questions, but am trying to understand how this could be, and I think more so, trying to avoid opening up my computer and/or purchasing another at this point.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's why I have on occasion installed a blank drive and..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

Done a quick install. Then I can tell if it's hardware or the OS+drivers+bits.

There is an outside chance it's the OS but tests can prove it. Take for example the hard disk method I wrote about. KNOPPIX and other bootable Linux CDs are next in line for such a test but are not a great test since we are not sure if the hardware is supported.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
And how would the USB 2.0 work
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 11:20 AM PDT

in an non-2.0 USb hub (1.1, I believe they were/are)? I'll reseaarch this on the Linksys site.

With your help on this thread, as well as another thread - and with Bob's help - it's looking like a greater task than I wish to take on at this point to resolve the PCMCIA issue.

Since I have not used that slot for anything other than the network adapter, I should be able to live with it not functioning.

The other question is what does it take to replace the 1.1 USB with a 2.0? Are we back to the motherboard again? I'll search for an answer on this issue on this site.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
1.1 to 2.0 via PCMCIA Slot
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 12:46 PM PDT

I see that the simple method of conversion requires use of the PCMCIA slot.

I have two more questions then.

The first is if a 2.0 USB adapter would work in a 1.1 port, and how slow would it be(only counting that as 1 question)?

And, I have two PCMCIA slots. The bottom slot is slightly wider than the upper slot - I can fit my adapter into the bottom slot and not the upper. Why is that, and is it possible that the bottom slot is corrupt and the upper slot is not (once again, 1 question)?

Collapse -
A New Twist
by shmay7 / August 24, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

For some time now, I have had a issue of my screen ocassionally flickering, then eventually going black (the illumination stops and sometimes flicks back on then off again). And then when I move the screen on the hinges, the illumination reappears.

However, for the last 2 days, at times when this has happened and I have moved the screen, the computer immediately goes in to what I think is hibernation mode - this is instantly, no gradual process with a notice of hibernating. The reason that I believe that it is hibernation is becasue when I press the button to start it up, it returns just as though it came out of hibernation.

I have assumed that the flickering was a separate issue from the one that I am now experiencing. But with this added twist of hibernation, is it possible that it is related? Does this lend support to my problem being a software issue versus a hardware issue?

Or am I grasping at strawa?

Collapse -
This one is a known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: A New Twist

The flat cable from mainboard to LCD is failing or the connection to it is failing. This is usually seen on high mileage laptops. If you can find the cable, great but not often is a replacement found.

Bob

Collapse -
A New Twist
by shmay7 / August 25, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

For some time now, I have had a issue of my screen ocassionally flickering, then eventually going black (the illumination stops and sometimes flicks back on then off again). And then when I move the screen on the hinges, the illumination reappears.

However, for the last 2 days, at times when this has happened and I have moved the screen, the computer immediately goes in to what I think is hibernation mode - this is instantly, no gradual process with a notice of hibernating. The reason that I believe that it is hibernation is becasue when I press the button to start it up, it returns just as though it came out of hibernation.

I have assumed that the flickering was a separate issue from the one that I am now experiencing. But with this added twist of hibernation, is it possible that it is related? Does this lend support to my problem being a software issue versus a hardware issue?

Or am I grasping at strawa?

Collapse -
I'll write "high mileage laptop".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: A New Twist

I'd consider it's demise is any day now and the battle will end.

Bob

Collapse -
Not Going Down Without A Fight!
by shmay7 / August 25, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

Sorry for the repost.

Collapse -
The USB 2.0 Adapter Works Well In 1.1 Port
by shmay7 / August 25, 2006 7:39 AM PDT

Surprisingly well. Just started, but so far, not a significant difference for my needs.

Even better news, Circuit City refunded me the money for the PCMCIA adapter - so ended up a swap financially.

Thanks for all of your help Bob and linkit!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!