PC Hardware forum

General discussion

replacing on-board video with graphics card questions

by MuleHeadJoe / May 24, 2007 3:57 PM PDT

So I bought a new pc at a price that seemed too good to be true ... turns out it was. I misread the specs, thought it came with a high-end graphics card, but in fact it has graphics onboard stealing RAM from main memory. I have an older pc with an NVidia geForce 6600 pci express x16 card ... the new pc has a free pci express x16 slot open.

Both PCs are from the same manufacturer (HP) so I can't see there being any issues with hardware compatibility. The new pc is running Vista Home Premium while the old pc is XP Home.

The biggest issue I have right now is that the existing graphics system has only one output port - and it's vga not dvi. I currently run a dual monitor setup on my old PC, so I need to add a card in any case to replicate that functionality.

I'm looking at buying a new graphics card eventually, but I guess the big question is how hard/easy is it to replace on-motherboard graphics with a daughterboard graphics card?

Can I just plug in the old geForce card, download drivers and start using it?

Do I have to do disable the existing onboard graphics processor in the device manager?

Can I have both graphics systems running at the same time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: replacing on-board video with graphics card questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: replacing on-board video with graphics card questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nearly impossible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 9:42 PM PDT

"the big question is how hard/easy is it to replace on-motherboard graphics with a daughterboard graphics card?"

There are nearly no daughterboard systems today. However if you didn't mean that but were talking about the PCiE x16 slot then that is no harder than before.

The only fun item is making such you have your connections and Vista drivers.

"Can I just plug in the old geForce card, download drivers and start using it?"

Besides downloading drivers I also install them.

"Do I have to do disable the existing onboard graphics processor in the device manager?"

Your choice. You have to decide what you want since your next question would have me answer no.

"Can I have both graphics systems running at the same time?"

If you wish.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by MuleHeadJoe / May 30, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Nearly impossible.

Yeah, 'daughterboard' was the wrong term, but for some reason I couldn't come up with "expansion card" ... brain fart I guess.

Thanks for the info and tips, guys.

Collapse -
Should be relatively simple
by axekick / May 25, 2007 12:52 PM PDT

You need to ensure that your new pc has a suitable power supply to handle the new card. Probably contact HP and ask them if the power supply is adequate for that specific configuration unless you want to verify the specs yourself.
You wont actually remove the onboard video as it is attached to your motherboard. But rather change your BIOS settings to utilize the PCI-Express card (once installed) as opposed to the onboard graphics.
You will then have the onboard graphics available as well as the PCI-Xpress card, however you will of course only be able to utilize one of them at any given time and must modify your BIOS to change from one to the other. - Once you determine that your power requirements are adequate for the video card you purchase then installing the card and modifying your BIOS will take you less than 15 minutes and is very simple to perform.

Collapse -
Replacing onboard Video,
by Bill100727 / May 25, 2007 1:57 PM PDT

What exactly do you change in the BIOS.?

Collapse -
Replacing on-board video with a new graphics card
by ny2nv / May 26, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

I have an HP, the standard power supply is 350 watts, their are cards that will work with it. I decided to replace my power supply because most of the cards I was interested in had high requirments. I did a lot of research and went with a Corsair (5 year warranty), had some of the highest ratings. It was easy to replace the old one, took 15 minutes. Now I'm waiting for my new card the XFX 7600GT ($109 with a $20 rebate).

Collapse -
Watchout for power supply requirements
by Jflym / June 1, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

I'm in the same boat. Vista Premium, on-board graphics card, PCI-e slot available. Most graphics cards require 350+W power supplies. Mine only has a 250W, so I bought a Nvidia GeForce 7300 with 128MB memory. I can run BF2 and other demanding games at medium display resolution. Not the best card, but it only cost me $50 (Tgerdirect). Once you snap the card into your PCI-e slot your on-board grahics are disabled. Your monitor will work on your new card using Windows drivers at low resolution until you can instal the right drivers. Go to Nvidia's web site and download to new vista friendly drivers, not the ones that come with the card. I would also remove the on-board drivers as well, although it didn't seem to matter in my case. Good Luck! -Jim

Collapse -
need to disable my graphics card
by jkrsmokey / July 13, 2007 6:15 PM PDT

Hello all,

I am trying to disable my graphics card BUT i can?t do it through windows coz there is no card so I can?t see anything on the screen. When I try to start it in Safe mode an error comes up saying that windows has not installed correctly and that I need to click o.k. When I do this it takes me to windows xp. So I keep going in circles. Is there a way of dissabling the grphics card in dos?

Collapse -
I'd make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

You posted a new problem under an old post that discussed a different issue and didn't follow the forum note when posting (see the words in red?)

With a new post with all those missing details you'll get proper and better replies since it will be "your post."

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?