Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Replacing my iPod

by x.killeddestiny.x / December 12, 2007 9:55 AM PST

Thats right I'm selling my iPod because its defective and Apple refuses to replace it. I've decided that I'm going to go back to one of the two brands of mp3 players I always used before because my psp isn't an option for mp3 player use (way to big). Here's what I've been looking at either the new Creative Zen (I actualy really like this one so I really hope its good) or the Sandisk e200 series players (which I also like). Basicaly I wanna hear all the pro's and cons people have about each of em, comparisons to iPods, etc. Sound quality, reliability are very important as well. Also I'm looking to get one 4 or 8 gigs in size because I want to put my video's on it and my pictures. Thanks for any and all help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing my iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing my iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should get a...
by zunezrok / December 12, 2007 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Replacing my iPod

dude. Buy a ZUNE!!!

Collapse -
Just curious
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2007 3:22 AM PST

in what way was your iPod defective
and
why did Apple refuse to replace it?

P

Collapse -
if you're going to get a Sansa
by JonTitor / December 13, 2007 3:41 AM PST

might as well get the View, it's better for videos than the e200

Collapse -
Well...
by x.killeddestiny.x / December 13, 2007 5:39 AM PST

I'd buy a zune but one I live in Canada(N) and two I don't trust Microsoft enough. And my iPod has seriose issues with freezing and restarting and sounding like a total peice of crap (even worse then normal I realize iPod's don't sound the greatest) and I've never actualy heard of the view but I'll check it out. Also if anyone knows any other good players sugjest em too cuz people seem to be having alot of problems wtih the e200's and the zens.

Collapse -
sansa
by zeus 47 / December 13, 2007 8:03 AM PST

i would suggest a sansa view. it is only $149 for 8GB and $199 for 16GB. It has the same screen size as the ipod classic and 48 hours of video at 30fps. ive had mine for 6 weeks and it works fine.

Collapse -
The view looks good but
by x.killeddestiny.x / December 13, 2007 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: sansa

The review says if you don't care about excelent sound quality and I would like something that sounds good, at least as good as the iPod or around that good and I don't know if I've ever senn a view for sale in Canada but I can take a look. I was just wondering what the sound quality is like on it?

Collapse -
The Creative Zen
by freeway8989 / December 13, 2007 11:30 AM PST

The View's sound quality is par, about as good as the iPod's. And while the idea of 16GB at $200 is quite alluring, you'll get the best listening-experience with the Zen. Creative has always been hailed for its excellent-sounding players. The Zen is no exception. In fact, the Zen is actually considered an audiophile mp3 player (meaning it's the cream of the crop when it comes to sound).

As far as pros and cons, the View has better tech specs, but the Zen wraps up its features in a nicer package. The [supposedly] has gapless playback, a better price-to-gigabyte ratio, H.264 support (better podcast support), and a longer battery life.

But like I said, the Zen is a nicer package. First, the stability of the firmware is questionable (the e200 series can attest to this), whereas reliability with the Zen is not an issue. Second, sound quality on the View is iffy whereas SQ on the Zen is superb. Third, the graphical user interface on the View looks dated, while the GUI on the Zen is great (Apple copied the Zens' interface), and you can even customize the background image. Fourth, the Zen is more pocketable while the View is relatively large for a flash player. And though the Zen depends on proprietary software for some things (such as podcast's [which they call zencasts]), the View depends on proprietary software for everything. You need to transcode most media with the View whereas the Zen, you only need the software to handle zencasts and DivX movies. Otherwise, go nuts with WMP11.

The only glaring issues with the Zen pesky SD card slot issue and the need to transcode DivX. With the SD card slot, the memory does not integrate with with the main library. So you have search info on the SC card separately from the music on the player itself. But most people assume that this is a firmware issue, and will be repaired soon.

So all in all, the Zen offers the best audio experience.

Collapse -
typos:
by freeway8989 / December 13, 2007 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: The Creative Zen

The *View* [supposedly] has gapless...

Also, with the View, I think that you only need to transcode movies and photos. I think you can handle music with WMP11.

But I still say the Zen is the higher-quality player.

Collapse -
I've really liked the Zen since it came out
by x.killeddestiny.x / December 13, 2007 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: typos:

But I've had a good and a bad expirience with Zen's my first one a Zen Xtra lasted like 3 years till it bit the dust and that was actualy my fault. But my Zen V started freezing up and I didn't want to deal so I brought it back after 6 days and my friends Zen V Plus well hes on his like 6th so I've decided if I buy a Zen I'd buy an extended warentee like he did but my one burning question is will the Zen freeze up on me alot? or do stupid random restarts? and if so is it a defet amoung them all? Just because this is what my Ipod does and it drives me absolutly insane so I'm thinking as long as the Zen wont cause this I'm probably gonna get it unless anyone can shed light on why not to or another player to buy.

Collapse -
Well, that's the Zen V Plus
by freeway8989 / December 14, 2007 8:49 AM PST

Well, first of all, it's VERY impressive that the Zen Xtra lasted you 3 years. In today's day and age, mp3 players rarely lasted that long.

As far as the Zen V Plus, it's understandable that the device would freeze up. Creative packed far too much in such a small device--to much for the device to handle.

But that shouldn't suggest that all Zen players freeze. The Zen has much better hardware--a better processor, for example. So freezing really shouldn't be an issue.

Collapse -
Thats true
by x.killeddestiny.x / December 14, 2007 10:22 AM PST

And I'm hearing from people around different websites that if you update the firmware right away it doesn't freeze up, otherwise it does. I really did actualy like the Zen V as I did my iPod I just don't want to deal with freezings and ya the Zen Xtra was a pretty amazing player but after 2 years it worked for the fact you could turn it on and play songs for a few hours but not much else however thats still pretty good because I go through mp3 players pretty fast.

Collapse -
One final question
by x.killeddestiny.x / December 16, 2007 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Thats true

I've decided on the 8 gig Zen but I'm defenitly buying an extended warentee on it just to be safe (I suggjest anyone do this with an mp3 player) but I need to know if it will work with Windows Media Player 10 because 11 doesn't work with my psp and wont load all my songs into it which is just strange so windows media player 11's out of the question for sure.

Collapse -
Well heres what I bought
by x.killeddestiny.x / January 2, 2008 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: One final question

Because you rarely see someone post what they actualy chose and if their happy with it I decided to do so incase this thread is found in the future by someone who might need the help.

So Futureshop on boxing day it came down between the 4 gig Creative Zen and the Sandisk Sansa e280. And in the end I chose the Sandisk because then I could afford an extended warenty and beleive me when your me its worth it. I was told by everyone I was with and at the store to buy the sandisk so I did. And I love it it works great but in terms of sound quality its not near as good as the creative but a slight upgrade from my iPod so its justifyable.

Here's my review on it

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-e280-8gb/4864-6490_7-32041576.html?messageSiteID=7&messageID=2538654&tag=mpuo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?