MacBooks forum

General discussion

Replacing HD/Memory in MBPro Unibody VOIDS WARRANTY!

Hello -
I went to the Apple Store in Westfarms Mall in Connecticut tonight to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro. While talking to the representative I told him that I wanted to replace the hard drive. He stated that if I even removed the bottom panel, I would automatically void my warranty. I showed him Chapter 3 of user guide that comes with the MacBook Pro which outlines instructions on how to change the hard drive and memory. I also showed him on the same documentation on the apple site, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_13inch_Mid2009.pdf and the support for MacBook Pro for mid 2009's instructions on replacing the memory: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 and replacing the hard drive: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MBPRO_13inch_Mid2009_Hard_Drive_DIY.pdf

I questioned that the last document says DIY in the filename and how could that possibly void my warranty and he said that the technicians are told that any MacBook Pro that is brought in that has the bottom opened by anyone other than an Apple technician automatically has the warranty voided. When I asked for a copy of the warranty, it was not provided.

I stated that the Macbook user guide, has information about how to replace the memory, and if that was covered by warranty. Their response was that user replaceable Hard Drive and memory are covered on the Macbook only and not any of the unibody MacBook Pros.

If replacing the hard drive and memory is a void of warranty, then why is the documentation on how to do so online? Why are the instructions in Chapter 3 (called Boost Your MacBook Pro) in the user guide when you purchase the product? This information needs to be removed from the user guide, and the warranty needs to be stated.

If this is not the case, then will someone from Apple please contact their Apple store managers and technicians and set this story straight! Be aware, I talked to not one but three people there - one was a technician and manager, the other two customer representatives.

I would like to purchase a Macbook Pro, but not if I can't upgrade the hard drive and memory. I am shocked by the availability of documentation, and the lack of wording that says it voids warranty!

Andrew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing HD/Memory in MBPro Unibody VOIDS WARRANTY!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing HD/Memory in MBPro Unibody VOIDS WARRANTY!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Phone Apple Customer support

In reply to: Replacing HD/Memory in MBPro Unibody VOIDS WARRANTY!

and ask them the same question.

If Apple make instructions for changing out a drive available on their website and call it DIY, then it cannot possibly void the warranty.

1-800-MY Apple

Let us know what they say

P

Collapse -
I previously dealt with Apple's 800 number on this question.

In reply to: Phone Apple Customer support

The fellow on the phone said that if the memory is replaced, it doesn't void the warranty. The HDD he wasn't as sure about, but he did say Apple would not warranty a new HDD. It seemed as if he did not know for certain what a DIY install of this items would do to the warranty. I went ahead and installed my stuff anyway.

So, question still not answered. I will be curious to hear what new info might come up about this issue.

Collapse -
The warranty,

In reply to: I previously dealt with Apple's 800 number on this question.

This is probably what they are talking about/

Hypothetical situation:
You have a HD failure and call Apple Support about it.
They agree, the HD is toast and will need to be replaced.
Question: Do you feel as though you could change this part yourself, following the on-line guide or do you want to take it to a Service Center?
Answer: Change it myself.
OK, I'll ship you a new drive, replace the drive and ship the old one back to us in the same box using the prepaid label.
End
The drive you will receive will be of an identical size and have the Apple logo on it. This will be covered by the warranty.
The drive that you install, a larger, non-Apple branded drive, will not be covered by the warranty and, because you put it in there, neither will the rest of the machine.

Of course, the above is just pure conjecture but it seems reasonably logical.

Tip. Now that you have installed the drive, enjoy it, and if something ever goes wrong with your machine and needs to be fixed under warranty, carefully put the original drive back in before sending it off for repair

P

Collapse -
not void

In reply to: The warranty,

i bought a first generation mac book pro 15inch. the one with 2 panels at the bottom, one for battery and HD, other for all the rest.
as apple provided the info how to open the machine (for changing RAM for ex.) of course i wanted to see the inside.

later i got a problem with my fans. even though i opened the whole mac several times, my warranty was not void.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.