Laptops forum

General discussion

Replacing HD HP laptop and using recovery discs

by redeye683 / July 21, 2009 10:34 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavillion laptop running Vista Home Premium. Unfortunately (LOL)the HD went south 58 days out of warranty. I replaced the HD,and expected to use my recovery discs sent to me by HP to bring it back to where it was. They will not allow me to re-install my O.S.
Instead I get a message that states "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. (imagine that!) So on so on, then says FILE:\Windows\System32\Winload.Exe is missing or corrupt. Status:OXCOOOOOOF.
I've tried twice to use the discs but they still fail. I've even attempted to put my copy of Windows XP Pro on but it too fails. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing HD HP laptop and using recovery discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing HD HP laptop and using recovery discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The clue here is that XP fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 12:16 PM PDT

Something is horribly wrong. Or you tried partitioning the drive prior to an OS install?

Tell the details. Old drive and new drive make, model, etc.

Collapse -
HP laptop will not install O.S.
by redeye683 / July 21, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

The laptop is a dv2810us entertainment notebook. It had a 250 gig WD serial At HD originally. 58 days out of warranty it locked up would not restart or run. I had a 40 gig Seagate laying around so I put it in until I could purchase a replacement. I used the recovery disks HP sent me to re-install Vista,O.S. Worked fine. I just purchased a Fujitsu 80 gig HD and installed it. This is the one that I can not get the disks to work on. I'm not sure if HP has different disks that they send out, as in some that are good for ANY number of uses or if maybe they have limits as Microsoft puts on their software now limiting your use of it without buying another license for them. I did not partition the HD as I only use it while away from home,not my full time puter. I've not used my XP disk for some time and possibly it may have a bad spot on it keeping it from installing on the laptop. I am not sure if Vista is backwards compatible with XP either. Regardless,I am disabled now,wish to buy another copy of XP Pro before it is unavailable to all of us for my personal use. Money is not as plentifull as it always has been before my illness and I must cut all corners when I can,if you can understand that. Thanks for reading my post and I truly hope you or anyone else can help me. I can attempt to push any and all F buttons to get around part of this (like F-11 to reach recovery console) and none will help me. Only F-8 to give me the standard options.

Collapse -
Re-install O.S.
by redeye683 / July 21, 2009 12:55 PM PDT

I forgot the HD has not been partitioned as I only use it away from home and do not need to.

Collapse -
Ok, the 40GB did work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 1:00 PM PDT

So let's cover a few small details.

1. When we use restore media, try to not trip them up by partitioning ahead of time.

2. Try GPARTED and remove all partitions (see bing or google.)

3. As to XP, tell me about what floppy drive and driver you used since XP does not install without that or on some machines where you can enable IDE emulation. I will NOT write in depth about this as there is far too much written about this.

4. The restore media I have from HP worked dozens of times. Explainer. I work in software development and our guinea pig machine gets a reload weekly it seems.

5. Just the facts please. Telling other than what we need to work the issue derails the effort. I have to pick out the facts.

Collapse -
PS. Forget an item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok, the 40GB did work.

6. On the new drive, put the speed limit 1.5 gigabit jumper on and retest.

Collapse -
OK the 40 gig did work
by redeye683 / July 21, 2009 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok, the 40GB did work.

I did not partition this new HD. I was using my installation CD for Windows XP Pro that did would not install.

Collapse -
And XP Pro should not install to most SATA drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: OK the 40 gig did work

No need for me to write why. It's a well worn topic.

As to you creating a partition. Who's to say that this drive needs a little preparation because it was not blank, ready to use? Let me ask why we would not get GPARTED to have a look?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.