Computer Help forum

General discussion

replacing hard drive and transferring applications

by jctl27 / June 7, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

I have a 4-year-old Thinkpad T40 running windows XP pro, and when I had it repaired a little while ago, the technician recommended that I replace the hard drive, which was on the verge of failing, and reinstall windows.
To do this, I've bought a new hard drive and a enclosure for my old drive. I've also got IBM recovery CDs, so I can format the new drive, install windows, and get the laptop back to an "as-purchased" state. I had planned on putting the old, corrupted drive in the USB enclosure and running it as a slave drive to transfer my data.
Here's my question -- What's the best way to transfer applications from my old drive to my new drive? I will be able to do a fresh install from discs or the web for some of my programs, but not all. There are application transfer programs out there, but they seem to depend on having to computers, which I won't -- I'll just have the one computer with the new drive as master and the old drive as slave.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: replacing hard drive and transferring applications
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: replacing hard drive and transferring applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IFFY!!! PROBLEMATIC!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 5:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
try using cloning software to clone the old drive to the new
by ramarc / June 7, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

is you old drive still functional? if so, you could use Norton Ghost or the migration software from the manufacturer of your new hard drive(e.g.: seagate, western digital, etc.) to clone the old drive to the new.

Collapse -
Agreed. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 7, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

When I bought a new, larger drive for my IBM NetVista desktop, the drive came with cloning software. I put the new drive into an external USB-2 case and cloned the old drive to the new drive. Absolutely zero problems. It even cloned the hidden restoral partition.

Collapse -
cloning hard drive
by captainzack / October 25, 2007 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed. . .

what type of hard drive was it that you purchased that came with cloning software , and what operating system?
thanks

Collapse -
Clone if you can keep the o.s.
by davidfc / October 25, 2007 10:42 PM PDT

I have used Acronis True image software to do this multiple times. I can swap a disk out and be running again in about an hour now. However, be aware that you are postponing the inevitable. Point in case,now I still have my favorite old pc running Windows 2000 with a whole bunch of customized applications and downloaded software. It will be hard/tedious to find all the disks, license info, data files for each application etc. to be able to upgrade the operating system at this point.

Does anyone else have suggestions on tools that help catalog the software on the machine and it's license data/userfiles to facilitate?
(I don't trust software that says it will do it all on auto pilot.)

David

Collapse -
Bob mentioned Aloha Bob and others have ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 26, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

mentioned using disk cloning (either a stand alone application such as Acronis True Image or the software that is generally available with the dnew hard drive or on the hard drive manufacturer's web site) and there is another solution available through some uninstaller applications that will allow "transport" of the application to another system. V-Com's System Suite 7 (available from their site or several other places such as WalMart where it is only $39) comes with one that generally works well:
http://www.v-com.com/product/SystemSuite_Features.html#uninstall

So now you have choices.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!