Computer Help forum

General discussion

Replacing hard drive

by wright5972 / August 21, 2005 1:56 AM PDT

I have an HP pavilion 532w with an intell 4 processor and 512 mb RAM, on an 80 GB hard drive and I am running windows XP. I went to turn my computer on one day and got the message Disk boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter, I had to contact HP to get the disks I needed as my computer did not come with the disks nor a way to create any. After I got the disks I did just what it said to do and I got the message no hard disk found. I called a local computer place that works on computers and was told that my hard drive had gone bad. I bought a new hard drive, (Western Digital 80 GB) and then installed it on my computer. Upon booting the computer up with the system disks I got the message NTLDR is missing, I have no idea what this NTLDR is and when calling HP to ask this question I was told there would be a 40 dollar basic charge and would go from there. They would not tell me what it meant unless I paid this money. I also got the message. while trying different things (dectected Boot image on LBA 0x00000015, Error! PC system not supported, Press any key to continue. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get with this problem. Have I bought the wrong Hard Drive?, has HP sent the wrong Boot up disks,,,, Please HELP!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you format the new drive first???
by Ray Harinec / August 21, 2005 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Replacing hard drive

If it was a standard computer [not a Compaq, Dell etc] and you had an actual XP CD, you would not have to format the drive, the XP CD would do it for you.

Do you have a floppy drive, and can you get a Win98 boot floppy??

Collapse -
How to do this
by wright5972 / August 21, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

Please help me and tell me how do I go about formating the hard drive first...All I have is the windows recovery disk

Collapse -
I think that Yewanchors has the answer
by Ray Harinec / August 21, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: How to do this

that you are not booting to the CD. I assume that it is CDs, not floppies that they sent you.

I would have expected the CD from HP to do the entire format etc. Hopefully it will

Collapse -
Sounds to me
by Yew / August 21, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

Like HP screwed up and sent you the wrong discs. I'm sure everyone here is shocked and dismayed that HP could do such a thing. (A comment meant to be dripping with sarcasm BTW)

To save you $40, NTLDR is XP's bootloader. Real simply, it's a little program that's installed in a special place on the hard drive (HDD). It's responsible for actually booting Windows.

But one thing to consider. I know Dell has this stupid defualt configuration where the system doesn't even look for bootable CDs, it just goes straight to the HDD. Wouldn't surprise me at all to know HP has done the same thing. So, make sure the system is set to boot from the CD before the HDD.

I'm also going to assume that you replaced the old, dead, HDD, and didn't just leave it in the system. Because that could cause all kinds of fun problems.

I'm further assuming that HP doesn't pull a stupid stunt that's becomining more and more popular with name brand system vendors, and that's including a special hidden partition on the HDD which contains info the restore CDs will look for, and possibly bomb out if they don't find.

Collapse -
NTLDR
by amusedfred / August 21, 2005 9:56 AM PDT

The best place to look is http://www.Microsoft.com and access their tech articles. The NTLDR description article is at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397.
I would try to format the hard drive first. Also make sure you have the XP setup disk's, if not download them from here to create your own set: (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305595) , there are 6 of them.
I'm hoping that you have a floppy drive.
If you can get to a DOS prompt try this command: ''format C:/S'' which will ''IF'' your system supports it, will format your hard drive. After that delete the partition, create a new partition, then try to re-install XP. Also I have Gateway computers and found this tool really useful called GWSCAN.EXE found at this URL: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19707&dscr=GWSCAN%205.09%20For%20All%20Gateway%20Hard%20Drives&uid=96360295. This will allow you to set that up on a floppy disk so when you pop it in and reboot the computer to DOS mode and type in GWSCAN.EXE that will let you write 0's to your drive and then try again with those XP startup disks to install the OS again.

Collapse -
NTLDR help with floppy
by wright5972 / August 23, 2005 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: NTLDR

Amused fred
Can you please help me again with the down load of the NTLDR on floppys. I went to the sight you gave in the forums and went to down load to floppy. It said it would take six disks which I had ready, the only problem is it did not prompt me to change disks and I got the message that I would need a bigger disk to down load the whole file. Please tell me how to do this. I am working off of a friends computer and don't know what to do. It just kept copying to the same disk which only holds 1.44 MB. HELP AGAIN!

Collapse -
The common gaffe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: NTLDR help with floppy

bootdisk.com supplies (most of the time) a .EXE that you run to make the diskettes. I can imagine if one doesn't read the instructions then they would try to put it on a diskette and the results would be unusable.

Best of lcuk in recovery, but can I comment that I just use the XP CD for such a repair.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.