TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

replacing a processor

by IFLYU / March 3, 2007 8:36 PM PST

I have a Adcom GSA 700 that needs repaired for the third time. I want to replace it.
I have Acurus preamp, Acurus Amp (2channel) for Definitive technology mains.
The system was originally for music. I added the Adcom surround processor for home theater. It has built in amps for the rear and center. Adcom suggests I trade it in for their new reciever ($2,000).I don't have that kind of money anymore, I got married.

What can I replace this with to get my home theater back up and running that wont leave me broke? Should I be looking at recievers so I can power my rears and center or find another processor with built in amps thats more up to date?

I wolud like to buy used/refurbished, anything to save me money while still keeping as clean as possable.

Any links or suggestions on how to find a solution would be much appreciated. (models/numbers)

Chazman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: replacing a processor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: replacing a processor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your life changed. How much should your system change?
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2007 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: replacing a processor

You were playing in the somewhat higher end arena. The Adcom GSA 700 has gotten spooked now. I'd want to part with it. Had you perhaps bought it as a refurb? It has proven to be a problem. Googling will easily find you a vendor who handles Adcom refurbs.

The thing about receivers is that now is a moving target due to HDMi connectivity transitioning to version 1.3. !.3 is tempting to want for it's apparent future capabilities for both better sound but more importantly for deep color capabilities.

Anyhow, 1.3 equipped components are just starting to be released. Buying closeouts/refurbs entails buying into prior generation as to HDMI.

I happen to like my Denon stuff quite well. Their up to date as of a few months ago model AVR 2807 was called sweet spot of the line by c/net. Street price for it is around a grand. C/net rated at 8.7. At 9.0 & at 2 grand is the highly capable Denon AVR4306. That gets into the 2 grand range for a replacement Adcom - where you didn't want to be.

Consider the Denon AVR 2807 as a starting point. Read the c/net review.

Collapse -
replace or fix
by IFLYU / March 4, 2007 3:18 AM PST

I did call adcom and I can get the GSA 700 repaired, don't know the cost. The guy told me that the unit was obsolete and I should consider replacing it. Adcom will give me a $500.00 trade in on their new reciever, $1500.00 is still way out of my range at this time.

As for buying a reciever, I don't really care. I am not up to date with all the home theater changes going on right now. The Adcom GSA 700 has pro logic. I was thinking I needed to get digital. If digital is going to be out then should I just stick with the pro logic right now and get the darn thing repaired again?. I can buy the Adcom GDD 1 digital decoder that comes as an add on to the GSA 700 that would decode all the digital surrounds. I think that goes for around $300.00.plus I still would have to repair the GSA 700.

I guess my question now, since I don't have a grand or more for a decent reciever, one that won't compromise the quality of the rest of the system is If I just repair the GSA 700 is pro logic acceptable? I don't know how much I am loosing,not having digital, maybee thats good since I don't have the cash. Am I fine with just pro logic?

OR (sorry) my thought was a cheaper, not cheap but cheaper, maybe refurb or even used reciever that supports the newer surrounds and just use it for the decoder and amp on the center and rear. I would still have my higher end amps on the mains. Will I loose the quality of the rest of the system by throwing in a "cheaper reciever"?

Sorry, I'm so confused. I guess I don't want to repair somthing that is so "obsolete" but I have to remember that was a sales rep for Adcom trying to get me to purchase a $2000.00 reciever. I would much rather you all tell me how "obsolete" I am, please.

thanks for the reply's

Collapse -
Confused? That makes both of us
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2007 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: replace or fix

Repair an old 3 ch power amp for the 3rd time? No, a proven problem.

Penniless? It takes bucks to replace with comparable to Adcom quality, prestige & status.

With a quick google Holm Audio has a good used GSA 700 @ $195. Ha. How good? Obsolete? Obviously.

Adcom Direct has in-house refurb: GFA 7605R 5 ch, $839, GFA 7607R 7 ch, $1189.

You can't get something for (almost) nothing.

Rufurb &/or used has risk. You can always look around Audiogon.

Multi-channel power amps are out there. They don't give them away.

Quandry? Dilemma? You need to find your reality. If you have no bucks, perhaps you must put defer until you can buy a $1500-2000 suitable replacement.

Collapse -
FORGET ABOUT THAT OLD ADCOM; BUY A NEW.........
by Riverledge / March 4, 2007 7:16 AM PST

A/V RECEIVER WITH 7.1 or 6.1 channels. In the $700 to $1,000 range, I'd suggest checking out the following models:

ONKYO TX-SR804 (personal favorite)
ONKYO TX-SR674
SONY ES STR-DA3200ES
SONY STR-DG1000
YAMAHA RX-V1700
YAMAHA RX-V2600

I am not too keen on DENON's models. NAD is a great brand but may be beyond your budget. Best shopping,

river.

Collapse -
Adcom Gear
by petert65nh / May 9, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: replace or fix

I have had Adcom gear for 21 years and I own both the GSA-700 and GDD-1, that you are discussing. I hope I'm not too late in giving you some insight to your troubles! When I bought these two components, they each failed once during the warranty period. This was my first experience with their new overseas manufacturing. Adcom was still in NJ at the time, and was super in helping me out. I was given a brand new GDD-1, and they found that there were some "cold solder joints" that they repaired in the GSA-700. I have had no problems since! Adcom was purchased a few years ago and they moved to Arizona, and other than the design technology, they are an entirely different company now. My local dealer has dropped them except for special orders. Overall, I think the pieces were well designed and are worth repairing. It may be time to upgrade myself, so if anyone maybe interested I'd love to sell my whole "home theater" and focus more on my "higher end" two channel system. Yes, I'm a dinosaur! It consists of Adcom GFA-555, GFP-555, GFT-555, GSA-700, GDD-1, Vandersteen 2Ce (Mains), VCC-1 (Center), (2) 2Ws (Subs), with either Mission 732 or KEF Q55.2(for surrounds). I'll even throw in a Pioneer DV-414 DVD Player. $3,000 for all plus shipping. Anyone interested?

Collapse -
HAVE YOU CALLED ADCOM?
by stewart norrie / March 4, 2007 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: replacing a processor

Sometimes the factory will repair your amp on a flat rate and very cheap good luck stewee

Collapse -
I did
by IFLYU / March 4, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: HAVE YOU CALLED ADCOM?

I called but they won't give me any kind of price till I send it in and they look at it, not even a ball park.

Collapse -
SO SAD + pro Logic is a dead item
by stewart norrie / March 4, 2007 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: I did

That amp was a sweet amp in its time But You will find that a new 7.1 d.d. a/v/ amp will sound as good or better than your old monster ITS ALL IN THE SPEAKERS steweee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?