Question

Replacing a Mikrotik Router with a Draytek 2862 Router

Jul 13, 2018 5:44AM PDT

I have been trying unsuccessfully to replace a cheap Mikrotik Router (c £50) supplied by by our service provider Gigabeam with a Draytek 2862 router (c. £250). Gigabeam have told me to disconnect the Mikrotik Router from the service for an hour and then connect the Draytek (they have also told me that instead of turning off the Router for an hour if I call them they can "kick it off the connection" so the Draytek can log on. Unfortunately I am not at home during working hours). It’s a Mikrotik Routerboard RB951ui-2hnd and it connects to the antenna with an ethernet cable at the WAN port. The Mikrotik powers the antenna via the WAN port and the Draytek router WAN port does not power the port, so I have a POE unit for the ethernet cable when connecting the Draytek router to the antenna.
Gigabeam are unable to help with the set up, they prefer the Mikrotik, although they told me this router works on their network, they prefer the Mikrotik router. Any ideas please? I enter the PPPoE username and password and WAN VLAN Tag and it does not connect. The service comes in through an antenna from a transmitter. We get a good signal with download speeds of up to 34 MB.
When I connect the Draytek Router the WAN port on the dashboard is green and it shows "offline".

Post was last edited on July 13, 2018 5:44 AM PDT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Replacing a Mikrotik Router with a Draytek 2862 Router
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Replacing a Mikrotik Router with a Draytek 2862 Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Draytek 2862 Router
Jul 19, 2018 8:14AM PDT

Is there anyone who can help me with this issue, please?

- Collapse -
Answer
WIsh I could help.
Jul 13, 2018 6:45AM PDT

The fact that the connect doesn't happen means that if I was on this call I would have to call the ISP about how to get this unit to connect/log into the ISP system.

- Collapse -
Answer
Solution
Jul 31, 2018 4:29AM PDT

The answer was in the VLAN Tag Insertion. There are two options. Service needed to be enabled and Customer disabled. It then connected.

CNET Forums

Forum Info