Laptops forum

General discussion

Replacing a loud notebook fan?

by gctsmc / September 26, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

I have a Compaq Presario 2597US laptop and its fan is incredibly loud. I use it in my grad school classes and it bugs the people around me. After my computer has been on for 20 minutes, the fan blasts every 3-4 minutes. There is not even that much air blowing out, but the sound is really loud. Is it possible to install a quieter fan in my laptop? Where can I buy a replacement fan?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing a loud notebook fan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing a loud notebook fan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Replacing a loud notebook fan?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 10:04 AM PDT

Try my trick. I set the power profile to as slow as the laptop can go. For me, that's Intel Speedstep and I set to "Maximum battery life".

Bob

Collapse -
Didn't change anything
by desaiindustries / January 14, 2005 6:23 PM PST

I have the same problem...my computer is just so loud and i even get mean looks from the professor. I need to find out what is the problem....could it possibly be that the hard drive is very full or that some kind of power hogging programs is running?

Collapse -
Pentium M Centrino will have low fan use not Pentium 4M
by KenSanramon / January 15, 2005 1:18 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't change anything

The problem is that you bought Pentium 4M cpu notebook that runs too hot and uses too much power for all but desktop replacement notebooks (and that is not what you are doing by going from class to class).

I know as I turned in one of these Compaq 2000 series due to subpar 2 hour battery life also (and integrated/shared video RAM) for a Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 15.4" Pentium M Centrino (6.5 pounds is also lighter than the above and much thinner).This model also has a dedicated video card for gaming (Dell 8600 is a very good model also) -- see X1000forums.com,,,,,,,

My fan never comes on at all unless it is booting up, playing a DVD (and then only comes on occassionally) or using the hard drive heavily (like downloading windows updates).

So, next time get a Pentium M Centrino notebook like this and you will have far less fan noise (although certain Centrino models run hotter than others) and you will get 3.5-5 hour battery life.

You have a Pentium 4 crammed into your notebook somewhat modified for efficiency but note that most desktops have loud fans and now you know the reason why --the Pentium 4M is not for this type of use .........

If your fan is not running on a Pentium 4M you will soon have a meltdown inside with all that heat.......

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.