PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Replacing 2nd Hard Drive with New 2nd Hard Drive

by sonora77 / September 30, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

Have you ever had a friend ask you to recover data from a "bad" hard drive?

I have a Win2K box with 2 hard drives. I've told him that I can pull out my 2nd hard drive (not with my bootable partition), put his 2nd hard drive in, and use utilities to recover his data. I'll then burn it to DVD's for him.

My question: what do I have to do before hand? Or will the O/S not be confused when suddenly it sees that the 2nd hard drive is different with different partitions?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing 2nd Hard Drive with New 2nd Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing 2nd Hard Drive with New 2nd Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a common method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 12:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
BIOS settings and jumpers on the HDD
by Mojo_58 / September 30, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

You may have to detect the drive in the BIOS. Also, if the drive is an older IDE drive you will need to set master/slave jumpers. The OS shouldn't care what is on the drive unless you try to read it. Faulty drives that don't spin at all can commonly be seen by the bios and OS as long as the PC can read the chips on the controller.

Edward Fox

Collapse -
Bad Hd?
by ElectronixEshop / September 30, 2005 1:40 AM PDT

when you mean bad HD do you mean like a hd that has crashed and wont boot? or do you mean his comp crashed and that he cant access his HD if he cant access his hard drive do to some hardware problem you can recover his data by simply pluging in his hd into your computer and make sure not to boot from his OS once the computer has finished starting up windows will notice a new hd is installed and will place a icon for the hd in my computer and you may access it and recover his data on to your hd or either burn them straight onto a CD

Collapse -
The HD Won't boot
by sonora77 / September 30, 2005 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad Hd?

I really don't know too much more; the HD won't boot, and trying to go into the Windows XP recovery console didn't work. He said it ran for about 45 minutes and then rebooted. I'm thinking that means it is at least spinning.

He's coming from Florida with the drive next week, so I'll know more at that time.

The earlier comment about the master / slave is one I'd forgotten; as his drive is the master and my 2nd hard drive is a slave, I'm glad to be reminded of that.

If it is a bad hard drive, I'm looking forward to freezing it for awhile and then retrying it. That sounds like a good story if it works!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!