Computer Help forum

General discussion

Replacement of C drive.

I own a Sony VAIO PC that is about 5 years old. It is a Pentium 4 1.8 gz machine with max 512 mg ram. Back then they partitioned the hardrive alloting 15 gb to C and the remainder of 60 gb to the D drive. That really didn't bother me then but the C portion of the drive has loaded up to about 96 % of it's capacity. About 2 years ago I purchased an external USB drive, 200gb now allotted the E drive. To further complicate my issue I installed XP's SP2 about 18 months ago and it almost wiped out many of my top applications in the process. I took SP2 off my pc and I'm still running SP1.
I want to begin anew with a new larger internal C drive and install Windows XP Professional. How can I move applications that reside on the C and D drives to the external E Drive and then set up my new internal as the new C and reformat the C/D drive as extra disc space. All of my software is legitimate and paid for however I have purchased upgrades to some of my main programs like Adobe PhotoShop and my web authoring software. Is there any clearcut, clean method of migrating apps to other drives on the same system? Also do have any suggestions on how this can be done? I am very desparate for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement of C drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement of C drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't

In reply to: Replacement of C drive.

You will have to reinstall each and every program if you format. That's just a fact of life with Windows.

On the up side, during the reinstallation process for Windows, you can easily merge the partitions on the main drive, though you'll lose any data on the "D" partition in the process, so back that up beforehand. I'd also recommend making a SP2 slipstreamed installation CD for Windows. Saves time later on. Use Google if unsure on how to do this.

Collapse -
re: replacement of c drive

In reply to: Replacement of C drive.

1) get a new drive from seagate, maxtor, or western digital (and i assume hitachi) and use the included software to clone your boot drive to the new drive. the included instructions are pretty easy to follow. be sure to choose ntfs as the file system when setting up the new drive.
2) if you're keeping your old drive, repartition it and put your pagefile on it.
3) now install xp pro on top of your xp home install (do not reformat). you won't have to reinstall any apps.

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: re: replacement of c drive

I don't want to sound like a complete dunce but when you refer to cloning the new drive to old one what do you mean exactly? I purchased Seagate drive that comes with their own disk mangement software called disk wizard. When I install the new drive I thought that I would have to decide which is the slave and which is the root before I did anything. I'm a little concerned because the last time I attempted something like this it was about 13 years ago and really messed things up. Since that time I am a bit more technically proficient not an ace but competant enough to know when I'm in over my head.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
A possible solution

In reply to: Thank you.

not foolproof. First backup all important files. Use Partition Magic or similar to resize C: using available free on D: leaving some room on D: to spare, this depends on how much is free, if say you have 30 gig free you could allocate 20 gig to C: this should give you enough room on both drives if all goes well.
As your C: Partition is nearly full I don't see that you have a lot of choice without a clean reinstall.
There are other ways but they involve more work and at the very least the cost of a new hard drive (for inside your computer not external) that is at least 160 gig but 320 gig are not much dearer. However additional software and instructions would be needed which I won't go into as I think you have enough to think about.
Good luck
JohnM

Collapse -
C Drive Replacement

In reply to: A possible solution

I would first like to thank everyone who has tried to help me with this, but the good and bad of Forums, a lot of great expert advice but conflicting opinions.

I was always under the impression that my hard drive could not be re-partitioned and that I would lose any info that I had on the drive. If I could I would alot as much as I could to the C partition, install Win XP Pro and I would be in great shape. I will have to do some more homework I guess. When I contacted Seagate this is the response I received:

" Using DiscWizard 2003 for Windows:

Copying the contents from your old hard drive to your new hard drive:

Run the DiscWizard 2003 for Windows CD and install the application.
Launch DiscWizard 2003 for Windows and search for the option to
"prepare our
drive as the master and remove the old drive afterwards".
3. During the installation, DiscWizard 2003 for Windows will
automatically copy all
contents from the old hard drive to the new hard drive. If you prefer, you can also
manually copy a partition from one drive to another by selecting the following
options from the Main Menu:

A. MAINTENANCE
B. COPY FILES

When you are done copying the drive, remove both drives and reconfigure the jumpers on the new drive to make it the master device. Reboot with the new drive as the master.

Your computer should now boot using the new drive."

Does this sound right? It sounds to easy.

Collapse -
"what do you mean exactly?"

The drive in those retail packages comes with the software and instructions to move from your old to your new drive. If you want to see that in advance, visit www.maxtor.com and others to download the brochure and manuals.

Bob

Collapse -
like r.profitt said, the included software does the work

it will ask if you want to use the new hard disk as a replacement for your existing c: drive. if so, it will also handle increasing the size of the boot partition, so you can go from a small c: drive to the full size of the new hard disc.

once the c drive's been 'cloned', you can copy the stuff of your old d drive to c:. then wipe the old hard disk and set it up as a single d: drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.