PC Hardware forum

General discussion

replacement graphics card

by mightymike2 / May 28, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

Hello, everyone.
I just bought a new monitor for my computer and I would also like to upgrade the graphics card.
I have a Dell Dimension 9150 with the stock GeForce 7300LE graphics card, I have 4 gigs of ram. I've gone from a dell 19 in monitor to a Dell ST2410 and would like to get your input on what card would be a good replacement for the GeForce.
As I'am sure you can see by this, this is not a gaming computer.
Thank You all in advance.
mightymike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: replacement graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: replacement graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends on your budget/ needs
by Brechan / May 28, 2010 6:24 PM PDT

how much do you want to spend on a new video card, and what are the main functions of the computer (eg: what do you use the PC for...editing videos, CAD, watching some movies, surfing the net, etc.)

Collapse -
Low key
by mightymike2 / May 29, 2010 4:30 AM PDT

Hi, Brechan.
Well, our needs are fairly low key, do alot of photo shop, no videos, alot of web surfing, no games, our grandson plays alot of games but he's only 6 so the games he does play are not graphics hogs.
No, I wouldn't assume to get something that could never be put to good use but I seem to get so much conflicting information from the web. If your power supply is lacking, don't get this card. If you're looking at this card, you would be better off getting the new generation of this other card. Stuff like that.
I don't want overkill but certainly don't want to come up short either. Have looked at the GT250, and the 5670( I may be off on these models. I'm going from memory not knowledge)but just don't know enough about this stuff to made a decision. I've tried to educate myself a little but it seems that there are so many variables that I just get more confused. So, that is why I was hoping one or more of you Brainiacs that understand whats going on could help.
I wouldn't think that this change should cost more than 100 dollars but money is not the problem, getting too much card is.
Again, Thanks.
mightymike

Collapse -
Let's look inside this Dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/ has what I need to know.

1. PCIe x16 slot.
2. PSU Wattage 375 W

I'm going to share I used a Zotac GT240 1GB fanless card from amazon.com. I mention this because I have it and put it on a Watt meter.

The entire HP d4999t with this card barely breaks 120 Watts during a video game. It is under 100 Watts at most other times. This means it won't push you into a power supply upgrade.

Here's the link -> http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-nVidia-GeForce-PCI-Express-ZT-20404-20L/dp/B002X7A6N4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

It is under 92 bucks.
Bob
Collapse -
GT240
by mightymike2 / May 29, 2010 6:20 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply Bob.
I will look into this and try to educate myself with this info.
The power supply is, I would guess is just one of a few factors that would come into play with my request.
Thank You.
mightymike

Collapse -
upgrade psu
by mightymike2 / May 31, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: GT240

Hi, everyone.
So, I'll try this with a little bit more to get more response.
What if I upgraded to say a 550 or larger psu? I know that my computer is old and only running a Pentium D. Would it make sense to be able to go to a modern graphics card? Or is this just a waste of money in your opinion.
I like what Bob had to say about the GT240 but I'm still a little concerned about power.
mightymike

Collapse -
My kid had a simple 2.4GHz Dual Core
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: upgrade psu

And the next model card down. Ran great. While you could move to a better video card, I have used that model a few times and since I have a Watt Meter I've done the tests to show we don't have to replace the PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
GT240
by mightymike2 / June 1, 2010 2:15 AM PDT

SOLD AMERICAN!
mightymike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?