Cameras forum

General discussion

Replacement for Sony V1?

I am looking for a replacement for my Sony V1. If you don't know what the Sony V1 is you can read about here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_v1-review/

At first the Sony V1 looks like any other compact point and shoot, but if you look closer you will notice that it has many pro level features. It has a full size lens and can accept additional lenses. It has a hotshoe for an external flash. It has manual adjustments just like an SLR also. Because it is more then just a common point and shoot consumer level camera, but not quite a proffessional level SLR, is has been categorized as a PROSUMER camera. I bought the V1 because I travel a lot and needed a compact camera for everyday use, but also needed the proffessional level controls on occasions. For example, when I was in the arctic there was night when the aurora Borealis was just incredible. There were several people with me that had good quality point and shoot cameras and could not capture an image of them. I whipped out my tripod, adjusted my Fstop, ISO and shutter speed and captured some images with my V1 that even the locals were blow away by.

Now I am looking for an replacement for my V1. It seems like I can't find any cameras in the prosumer category. I bought a Canon SD1100 IS last year and it is a great point and shoot, but it has let me down on a few occasions because of the lack of manual controls.

Can any give me some help in this area? Are there any modern prosumer cameras out there like the V1?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement for Sony V1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement for Sony V1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can think of 3

In reply to: Replacement for Sony V1?

I would either look at the Canon G11 or S90(either will be out soon) or the Panasonic LX3.

Collapse -
Enthusiast Cameras

Cameras like the Sony V1 were built much like the 35mm film rangefinder cameras.

That type of construction is mostly gone.

Manual controls are harder to find, or even a viewfinder.

But there are some choices:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

Collapse -
G7 vs SX10IS

I was looking at the G7 very seriously when I ran across the Powershot SX10IS. Nothing I had for the Sony V1 will fit the G7, so I have to start from scratch anyways. Since the Powershot SX10IS comes with a 20X wide angle zoom lens, and if it has a decent built in flash, it should do for 98% of what I need as long as it can take good pictures. What to you think?

Collapse -
Canon G7 and SX10IS

In reply to: G7 vs SX10IS

The G7 was introduced in Sept of 2006.
I doubt that you can find a new one now.

The SX10IS is also a good choice if you want a big zoom.
It will shortly be replaced with the SX20IS, so you might find a bargain price on the SX10IS.

Sony also has a similar big zoom camera:
H50 and HX1

Here is a comparison of specification of all the cameras mentioned here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g7%2Ccanon_sx10is%2Ccanon_sx20is%2Csony_dsch50%2Csony_dschx1&show=all

Collapse -
Very heplfull

In reply to: Canon G7 and SX10IS

I learned a lot of info from that review. Thanks.

I really like this camera, but it falls short in a few areas that I will need to seriously consider. I was actually surprised to find that the SX10IS only has shutter delay of 15 seconds. My old Sony V1 could keep the shutter open for 30 seconds. It's not something I use everyday, but I was able to take some fantastic night photos because of it. Here is an example of a shot I took at 11:00pm.

http://s105011536.onlinehome.us/images/night time2.jpg

The only available light at the time of this photo was a camp fire behind me and a crescent moon. Now the SX10IS does have a 1600 ISO setting, whereas the V1 only had an 800 ISO, but longer shutter delay is better then higher ISO because it results in less artifacts.

The SX10IS also does not support RAW, which I found surprising. My V1 supported the TIF format which I believe to be almost the same thing as RAW. I can live with this though.

The one thing that I would really like a little more hands on review of, is the video capabilities of this camera. I own a PowerShot SD1100IS, that on paper has the same video capability as the SX10IS (640 x 480, @ 30 fps). I was amazingly surprised at the quality of the video produced by my SD1100IS and it has almost replace my Sony video camera for most purposes. The two areas that the video quality of the SD1100IS falls behind in is sound and fast motion. The built in mic is pretty bad and when you move the camera during recording the video becomes jumpy. I am wondering if I can expect the same performance out of SX10IS?

On a side note, could anyone explain to me why it is so difficult to produce a digital camera that can do both still photography and video really well?

Collapse -
Video/Still Camera

In reply to: Very heplfull

They can build such a camera.
But to do it right, you need two lenses and two CCD sensors.

In fact Sanyo has built several.
The results were OK but not great.
They sold a few, but very few.

The problem is the cost.

I believe the Sanyo cameras were about $700.
For less than that you can buy a digital camera and a camcorder.

Collapse -
bad link

In reply to: Canon G7 and SX10IS

Collapse -
Replacement for Sony V1

In reply to: bad link

I had this little camera (Sony V1) when it first came out a number of years ago, got the flash, lens converters and other accessories. Its low light performance was quite poor, took a long time to hunt for focus. And its movies are mediocre. So I moved up to the D-SLR and a HD camcorder after that. Recently I went back to the smaller camera because of a back injury, got the Canon G10 which gives a great many controls at the fingertips, but its low light performance is disappointing (though not worse than other top compacts in the market and qutie a bit better than the Sony V1). The new G11 hopefully will do better.

There is no easy answer to your question about why videos are generally subpar in digital still camera and the photo stills are subpar in the digital camcorders. From my layman's viewpoint, part of the problem is that the digital still camera and the camcorders are trying to accomplish 2 different tasks. The digital still camera is built to optimize the color, exposure and sharpness of one still frame, whereas the camcorder is trying to capture moving images. The continuous frame rates for the still cameras are quite slow compared to the camcorders. Tweaking the still cameras to record faster frame rates will have compromise in the image quality. The image processor and AF of the digital still camera is not optimized to process such fast frame rates. The autofocusing mechanism is also different between the two. The camcorders have silent AF motors to minimize mechanical noise, designed to constantly refocusing on the moving object and can have extensive optical zoom. The digital still camera usually only has digital zoom, the optical zoom and IS are noisy and zoom range is usually limited. The sensor is typically quite small in camcorders, larger sensor camcorders are much more expensive than the digital SLR. Some camcorders have 3 tiny CCD/CMOS sensors, which are optimized for video quality but not for still photos. Small sensors in camcorders will result in lower quality digital stills. The amount of compression used for recording images may also affect the quality. Movies from digital still cameras are usually more compressed. One important part of camcorder and videography is the audio quality. You cannot have a good video with mediocre audio. The digital still cameras usually have low quality built-in audio and many don't even allow use of external audio. This is probably due to cost of production.

There are many other potential reasons, even the choice of CCD vs CMOS sensors will affect the quality of still photos or video. While CMOS sensors work pretty well for the high end D-SLR, using CMOS sensors for video can have rolling shutter artifacts that are not seen in CCD sensors (which function as a global shutter). For camcorders that record at fast frame and bit rate will have less noticeable rolling shutter artifacts, whereas slower digital camera video recording at 30 frames or less will be more prone to see these artifacts.

Obviously the camcorder digital still options are very limited, without control over aperture, shutter speed or exposure. This will also lower the quality of the still images.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.