Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Replacement for Photoshop 7.0

by Zuschlauer / September 17, 2009 2:16 PM PDT

10.6 broke Photoshop 7.0 and I haven't been able to find any downloads to fix it. I think it would be expen$ive to upgrade to the current version, which I hear doesn't work well with 10.6 yet either.

So, is there a good freeware or shareware program to replace Photoshop?

Sounds impossible but I don't need heavy editing. I have ads that have been created for me by pros. I just change a phone number here, a date or a price there. I have created very simple ads myself. So I may not need all the things Photoshop can do. I don't even know half of what it can do.

I can install the 7.0 on an old Mac and convert all my .psd files to .jpg or whatever would be best for another program.

Thanks for any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement for Photoshop 7.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement for Photoshop 7.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS 7.0
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

You are probably going to get a bunch of people telling you that PS 7.0 works for them under 10.6

Have you tried reinstalling it?

P

Collapse -
7.0 is a Classic app
by Kevin M. Dean / September 17, 2009 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: PS 7.0

I doubt it since photoshop 7 runs under Classic. The OP needs to upgrade to at least a version that's native to the operating system and for 10.6, that's only going to be CS4 (since Adobe isn't supporting anything earlier). Alternatively Photoshop Elements could probably be used as a cheaper upgrade as long as there are no required features lost.

Converting psd files to jpg is not the way to go because the OP will lose all edit-ability in the file and lose lossless picture quality.

Collapse -
Classic vs OS X
by Zuschlauer / September 18, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: 7.0 is a Classic app

PS 7.0 is really two programs that can run under classic and/or OS X. It just installs the version you need. I don't think I have ever installed or used the classic version. It willingly installs under 10.6, but it quits in about 5 seconds saying that An unexpected and unrecoverable error has occured.

I also tried the 7.0.1 patch, but no luck. All the other downloads were filters and languages.

Are there other formats than .jpg that would be better? Most of my files are 72 dpi, although some are 300dpi. A few higher than that as cutting and pasting sometimes causes jaggies if you haven't upped the rez. I print to PDF to make files for completed work that I print or goes out to print vendors. This is not high end art.

I know that some formats are better than others and lossless vs. lossy formats, but I don't know which formats have which qualities. I acquired PS years ago and it was simple to use for the things I needed. It seems there must be something less expensive though, as I don't ever use filters or other things that are there.

Collapse -
PS
by Kevin M. Dean / September 18, 2009 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Classic vs OS X

Gotcha, I thought PS 8 was the first OS X version. Regardless Version 7 is 7 years old and Adobe isn't even officially supporting version 10 (CS 3) and version 11 (CS 4) is the latest. You're just too far behind to have a reasonable expectation that things will work. You might try Photoshop Elements like I mentioned or see if you can get a used copy of CS4.

As to the alternate file formats. If you're working with files that have multiple layers then they are native photoshop files and there's not really a substitute since all the other formats are not layered file formats.

One other alternative is to try GIMP, an open source program designed to be Photoshop-like and can open psd files. I'm not sure what it's status is for Snow Leopard.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10322178
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimponosx/

Collapse -
Photoshop works under 10.6?
by Zuschlauer / September 18, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: PS 7.0

Does PS 7.0 work for some people under 10.6?
10.6 messed up several applications, not to mention Mail and was really slow. I have reinstalled 10.6 and did a lot of other troubleshooting and most everything worked, except PS 7.0. I did reinstall PS 7.0 as that is what made my printer work again.

But if PS 7.0 works under 10.6 with others it should work for me and this is just more 10.6 badness that is not solved yet. It sounds more and more like I may have to back it all up, wipe my disk and install 10.6 clean and then reinstall my files. 10.6 has been a bad experience for me.

Collapse -
I did not say,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 10:20 AM PDT

that PS 7.0 works under 10.6.

I said that you would probably hear from people who say it works for them under 10.6.

Sounds like you had a bad experience with 10.6 but that is not the case with everyone.

My Mail, for example, now launches incredibly fast.

P

Collapse -
Right
by Zuschlauer / September 19, 2009 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I did not say,

I thought you might have meant that. Pretty sure I won't be hearing from them, though. They would have been here by now.

Usually I'm the one having no trouble with an OS upgrade reading about others' problems. My turn now.

10.6 has shown moments of apparent speed, interspersed with draggy performance. It just crashed again a few minutes ago. Have to make some time to do a clean install. It's crashed twice like this, FireFox minimized in the dock, during the animation returning it to the desktop it freezes. No mouse. But you have this genie coming out of the bottle frozen midway. Looks kinda neat.

Thanks, Kevin, I will look into GIMP.

Collapse -
GIMP
by JessGless / November 21, 2009 3:13 AM PST

IF all else fails take a look at the GIMP application.

It is a poor man's substitute for PhotoShop in that it is Open Source and freely downloadable.

The MAC version of this is much nicer than the other OS version.

JayGee

Collapse -
Pixalmator
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2009 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: GIMP

is a good substitute for Photoshop

P

Collapse -
eBay?
by macnerd10 / November 21, 2009 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Pixalmator

I have PS 8 and it works fine on an Intel machine running 10.6.2. No problems whatsoever. It might be cheap on eBay or similar sites.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.