HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Replacement for fried cable modem and wireless router

by farmercharli / August 10, 2011 10:56 AM PDT

I have been satisfied with my Linksys CM100 cable modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless router (about 22 mbs down and 1 mbs up). Security settings were pretty straightforward, and the setup worked well with HomeDNS for my WEBCams in my old Dell E520 XP system.
Last night we had a power surge that fried the computer and the cable modem. I got a temporary replacement modem, but apparently the wireless router was also hit, so I will have to replace both.
My question is whether there is any reason to move to a more modern system or possibly a combo modem/router. Someone recommended a Motorola SBG 6580, but I'm wondering if I would likely see any real improvement in performance, and whether I would just be asking for setup headaches. Right now I am leaning towards trying to find identical replacements, but I would welcome any suggestions. <div><div>Charles
</div></div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement for fried cable modem and wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement for fried cable modem and wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Addendum
by farmercharli / August 10, 2011 11:22 AM PDT

I was also looking at the Linksys E1200 or E2000 or E4200 as a replacement for the WRT54G. Would one of these be a more modest upgrade?

Collapse -
Combo
by mopscare42 / August 11, 2011 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Addendum

The SBG6580 is a combo modem/wireless router which means if one side goes out you replace the whole thing.
If you like the Mororola modems why not go with a stand alone modem like the SB 6120 or SB 6121 modem, they are all DOCSIS 3.0 and then get a stand alone N wireless router.
If your IP is Comcast and you are in a DOCSIS 3.0 area you will see a improvement because you will have 4 bonded channels down which gives you more constant speeds.
You may end up spending a little more, initially, but I have heard they have problems with the combo units

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Modem/rotuer
by bill012 / August 10, 2011 10:35 PM PDT

First question would be does your ISP use or plan to use DOCSIS3. You fried modem does not support this. Of course you also have to ask if they charge extra to use this feature.

If all your equipment is G band then you will see little difference in any of the linksys routers you mention. The primary difference is if you need wired gig (streaming HD video INSIDE your house would be a example) , or if you need to run on the 5ghz band (your PC would need a wireless card that was compatible).

Do you buy a combo router/modem is a tougher question. It will generally be cheaper to buy a combo but your selection of feature and brands is somewhat limited. You also of course would need to replace the unit if you changed technology say to DSL,FIOS,UVERSE. Since the amount of money is not huge I would go for separate units since you can pick the features that meet your needs the best.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.