Computer Help forum

General discussion

Replaced Old Processor; New Processor Overheating

by Mike_U / March 14, 2008 11:02 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I just purchased an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ dual core processor, which is intended to replace an Athlon 64 +3500 single core processor.

The motherboard I have is Biostar TForce 6100 AM2. The Biostar website states this motherboard supports the new processor.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/cpu_support.php?S_ID=164

My power supply is Antec TruePower Trio, rated at 550 watts.

When I installed the new processor, it overheats rapidly to more than 127 degrees celsius, the highest temperature permitted by the motherboard before it shuts down the computer to ensure its safety.

The new processor and the accompanying heatsink is installed properly. When I reinstalled the old processor, its operation temperature is significantly below danger levels; but when I reinstalled the new processor, it again overheats and the computer shuts down.

Can anyone decipher why the new processor is overheating?

Any comments is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the response(s).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replaced Old Processor; New Processor Overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replaced Old Processor; New Processor Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

Your new heatsink and what you used for heatsink compound.

Collapse -
Re: Tell Me About
by Mike_U / March 14, 2008 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell me about

My new heatsink is the stock one (AMD) that came with the processor. The heatsink compound also accompanied the heatsink. I applied sufficient amount but the problem persists.

Collapse -
Tell me next about the AMD CPU driver
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Tell Me About
Collapse -
CPU Driver
by Mike_U / March 15, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

I installed the new CPU driver at the link you posted. However, even before the computer gets to the home page after booting fully, the computer shuts down because the processor is too hot. Also, I did not do a fresh install of Windows. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Collapse -
re : 'My new heatsink is the stock one (AMD) that came with
by VAPCMD / March 15, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Tell Me About

the processor." Just to be sure...you mean the heat sink that came with the NEW CPU or did you buy an after market HS fan ? If you reused the old HS fan . . . the one designed for the old CPU ... that could be the problem.

Are you 100% sure the HS is sitting flat/flush on the CPU ? If not .. recheck. Sometimes the HS securing devices don't latch and hold the HS flush on the CPU.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re : 'My new heatsink is the stock one (AMD) that came with
by Mike_U / March 15, 2008 2:43 AM PDT

The new heatsink that came with the new processor. But it still overheats. Again, everything is installed according to instructions.

Collapse -
Other than what Bob asks
by lacsr / March 14, 2008 9:15 PM PDT

It possibly could be you need to update the BIOS before that new processor is supported. Which BIOS are you presently running? (check the link you posted)

Collapse -
Re: Other Than What Bob asks
by Mike_U / March 14, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

I will update the BIOS and see if this helps resolves the problem.

Collapse -
maybe
by Bob__B / March 15, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

Some folks will feel that the thicker the layer of heat sink compound the better....not true...in fact it works backwards.

When mounting the fan it might be possible to put it on backwards.
The air flow should be INTO the heat sink

I'm sure none of that applies. Happy

Collapse -
Updated Information on new CPU
by Mike_U / March 15, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

I apologize.

The new processor is a 65-watt CPU. I do not know if this fact means the Bios may need to be updated. Any comments is welcome.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

Not only the heatsink was used but is that fan running on that heatsink?

Sorry to ask but sometimes we find an owner that didn't plug in the fan or the fan was plugged in but not turning.

-> Also, since updating the BIOS did you use the BIOS defaults?

After all this it's going to come down to motherboard or CPU. Sadly the clue as to which isn't here.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just Checking
by Mike_U / March 15, 2008 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

The fan is on the CPU.

I went to the Biostar website and they have an update (posted Nov. 11, 2007) for a 45W CPU but not a 65W CPU. This may suggest the motherboard does not support a 65W CPU, though Biostar claim the motherboard supports the AMD Athlon X2 5000+ processor.

Collapse -
The update should NEVER list what used to be supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just Checking

You may have an old BIOS and are getting confused by its statements.

This is an area that the industry has failed us. They don't expect normal people to build their own PC. Those that build these daily would have installed the latest BIOS early.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Negative....that only means the BIOS will recognize
by VAPCMD / March 15, 2008 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just Checking

and support 45W CPU ... it doesn't mean it won't support the 5000+

But you should double check to make sure the settings are correct for your CPU...especially the voltage.

Assuming you used the right amount of thermal paste .... the only remaining thing is the HS fan being completely flush. If it's not, you'll continue to experience CPU overheating problems no matter what other changes you make.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Since you say you REPLACED the processor ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 15, 2008 5:30 AM PDT

may I assume that you are using the same motherboard in the same case with the same components as it was in with the old processor?

If your answer is yes, I strongly suggest that you re-visit your motherboard manual and check your overclocking engines to alter the settings for the new processor. You can't leave them the same.

Collapse -
Yes, I am using the same motherboard
by Mike_U / March 15, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

I will do as you mentioned and report to the discussion forum the results all the suggests stated so far.

Collapse -
What Changes Would Any of You Recommend I Make
by Mike_U / March 16, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

so the new CPU can operate properly without overheating. Recommend the values below based on the Biostar TForce 6100 AM2:

http://shopus.amd.com/pi/682-1012830/AMD-Processors/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-Dual-Core-5000-(ADO5000DDBOX)-Product-Info

CPU Frequency: 200 (default) up to 450

NPT Fid Control (CPU multiplier): auto (default) up to 10x

Memory Clock Value or Limi: DDR 400 (default) up to 800. Note: I have two DDR2 800 memory sticks totalling 2GB of ram.

A photo of the overclock engine is below:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200605/biostarTF6100AM2_BIOS4jpg.jpg

I lowered the CPU voltage regulator to 1.10 volts but the CPU temps are still around 70-75 degrees celsius. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

Collapse -
If you're having trouble with HEAT...or stability
by VAPCMD / March 16, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

you need to start with the CPU back on AUTO ... try the CPU like it should run. Then you have some sense it's stable at normal settings before make other changes.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?