HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

replace DVD player in older Panasonic home theater system

by Ladydg49 / November 13, 2012 9:38 AM PST

We own Panasonic SC-HT700 Home theater. The DVD player/receiver does not have optical audio port. We recently upgraded to HD with Time Warner. Now we watch movies on demand from Time-Warner, rather than rent DVD's. We miss surround sound. Is it possible to replace DVD player with a blu-ray player with optical audio port. This would allow us to connect to time Warner HD box to sound system, so that when a program is transmitted 5.1 Dolby (most movies), we would hear all speakers. Or at least, that's my understanding. Or would we better served to replace the whole system. We have Samsung Plasma TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: replace DVD player in older Panasonic home theater system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: replace DVD player in older Panasonic home theater system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 10:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
If you can, obtain separates instead of an All-in-One unit
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2012 11:58 AM PST

This way you can quickly add or replace components as needed. Plus, you get much better control over the sound quality/quality of individual pieces when you buy separates.

At the very least, buy and all in one surround system that does not integrate a DVD or Blu Ray player. You may be surprised at what you can find for not much more $ though.

Collapse -
Confused! re Receiver and speakers or some combo
by Ladydg49 / November 14, 2012 9:29 AM PST

My budget is around $300-maybe too limited? This is my husband's Christmas present , if I can pull it off. He misses surround sound. He is not an audiophile; anything that would enable surround sound would be pleasing to him. I'm thinking that we rebuild our system, one piece at a time. My preference would be to start with a receiver with optical audio port, so we can connect Time Warner HD box to Panasonic SC-HT-700 speakers. The Panasonic DVD player/receiver sends audio to speaker system via HDMI port. Is my thinking skewed? Can I simply replace the DVD/receiver with a receiver only?? I believe the Panasonic SC-HT700 is 600 watt system. Is that a consideration?
Can you recommend a receiver that has optical port and HDMI port for connection to current speakers. We hardly watch DVD's and don't own any blu-ray discs. So a blu-ray player is last in my priorities. I'm fairly sure my hubby would be happy with current speakers. We've hardly used them, since we went with TimeWarner HD box.

Collapse -
Those speakers are part of a proprietary system
by Pepe7 / November 14, 2012 12:56 PM PST

In other words, you cannot mix and match like you can with real separates. The speakers cannot be used with normal AV receivers, only the main Panasonic unit/DVD player combo you already have.

Buying separates will likely cost more than $300 as a baseline. Finding a budget AV receiver won't be hard though. Figure $150-200 (entry level Sony or Onkyo AV receiver as examples), plus another $399 for halfway decent surround speakers & subwoofer (Energy Take Classic 5.1).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.