PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Replace DDR2-400 with 533 ... and AMD question, also

by vois2 / February 8, 2006 1:14 AM PST

I own a Dell Dimension 8400. The CPU is the Pentium-4 630, which has a speed of 3.0 GHz and 800 MHz FSB (2MB L2).

There are 4 DIMM slots. Currently, a total of 3.0 GB DDR2-400 is in those slots. The existing configuration is 2x1024 along with 2x512, of course.

If you're wondering why I have 3.0 GB RAM, this is because the machine arrived from factory with 2x512. I later added 2x1024 -- again, all of this is DDR2-400. I do think the 3.0GB is overkill as I have learned from much benchmarking at both the 2.0GB and 3.0GB levels.

I have two questions.

(1) If I were to replace all of this with 2x1024 of DDR2-533, what sort of speed or efficiency increase is noted (if any)?

(2) Will my existing PC2-3200 modules totaling 3.0GB ever be useable in a future AMD-powered machine? I hear that AMD will soon support DDR2, however, I also read that the minimum AMD will support is DDR2-667. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replace DDR2-400 with 533 ... and AMD question, also
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replace DDR2-400 with 533 ... and AMD question, also
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:
by vixenk / February 8, 2006 3:04 AM PST

1. You probably wouldn't notice any speed difference, mainly because even if your ram is set at a faster speed than your cpu, your cpu would hold it back, and vice versa.

2. I don't know whether that is true or not, first of all. Second of all, DRR667 = PC5300, so yes, it will support your existing memory. Happy

Collapse -
Actually ddr2-667 is different than ddr-533
by damasta55r / February 8, 2006 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: re:

Its PC2-5300 vs pc2-4200 or 4300

Collapse -
re:
by vixenk / February 8, 2006 12:09 PM PST

Ummm... could you go into more depth on that one?

I never said anything about ddr533. I said that ddr667 = pc5300. And ddr2 is named based on the same system ddr is. So I really don't understand your comment...?

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / February 8, 2006 12:56 PM PST

\\DRR667 = PC5300, so yes, it will support your existing memory.\\ End Quote

First of all, he's using ddr2. And yes ddr2-677 = PC2-5300. I think you thought pc5300 is the same as ddr2-533, which isn't true, as ddr2-533 is pc4200 or pc4300. If his dell is using the 400 or 533mhz memory, then i don't think his dell has the newer motherboards that support the higher clocked ddr2 speeds such as ddr2-677 (PC2-5300), ddr2-800 (PC2-6400), etc...

Roger

Collapse -
(NT) re:
by vixenk / February 9, 2006 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Read my second message below. I was accidently thinking the maximum was 667 instead of the minimum.

Collapse -
re:re:
by vixenk / February 8, 2006 12:12 PM PST

LOL, let me track back on that some. I accidently read "minimum" as "maximum" on that. :S

If the rumor is true, than no, it won't support your current memory.

Collapse -
DR2-400 vs 533
by digitalmoose / February 9, 2006 6:39 AM PST

You won't likely "see" a big difference between DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 with the naked eye. If you're looking for a big performance boost, this might not be a cost effective upgrade unless you're overclocking. Both speeds of DDR2 are roughtly the same in price right now, so you might want to wait until you upgrade machines to jump into faster memory.

I wasn't able to find anything on AMD using DDR2-400 in the future, although I'm sure you could find a buyer for it since P4 machines are still being manufactured with it installed.

You may see a little difference in the memory upgrade, but don't expect it to be major.

Hope this helps.

Digitalmoose

Collapse -
regarding your questions!
by productiveinsomniac / November 5, 2013 8:08 AM PST

basically you stated that you have 400MHz bus speed memory modules in your system now, and you are wondering if you replaced it with DDR2-533MHz bus speed? would it be faster..... my answer would be simply yes.... provided your mobo Northbridge supports this frequency in its FSB.....

refer to your mobo specs! cant stress this enough.....

the problem with this question and the given information is:

to determin the speed of a stick of ram you must consider these factors as follows:

CAS latency speed=lower the better=example- 7-6-6-6
bus frequency in MHz= example- 533MHz bus speed the higher the better provided your mobo supports it
Bandwidth= speed at which data can be transferred during a given time period(usually in MBps)

the problem is most companies display either the bandwidth-bus frequency-or the internal clock cycle frequency

when it shows pc-122 you really don't know if its referring to its bus or its internal clock...

at least we have one method to covert bandwidth into bus speed.... to do this simply divid bandwidth by 8 to get frequency...... so 1600mbps=200mhz bus speed....

I would definitely max your GB so if the system allows 3gb of ram then get 3 gb of ram... if you go over it will still use 3 gb of ram... so there is a limit to how much it uses... but if you go over the only thing you hurt is your pocket not the pc.... it will still work provided the FSB supports your MHz on stick... cuz all componets work at a lets say tick speed.... they must be sync'd with eachother to work within given timeing cycles... there is a small chip on top right corner of the memory stick that gives the timing speed to your MCC on your northbridge(or in your cpu if you have a newer pc)

so basically I am almost sure that the change will provide a noticeable speed increase with your overall ram speed... but I would get ahold of manufacturer to confirm what that number displayed is referring to... 533? or if they are referring to bandwidth...

also take into consideration if your memory chip has parity or MCC built in it... cuz this feature is more efficient but can slow the overall speed... cuz when the memory chip recivevs info/data represented by 1=on or 0=off or 1=charge 0=no charge it has this feature to confirm the same amount of 1's has gone out that came in... in otherwords it may read it twice....

Collapse -
This thread is more than 2827 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 9:10 AM PST

I'd watch out for these old posts. Closing this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?