Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Repeating Secure Wifi into Ethernet?

by thenoxus1 / August 5, 2014 1:18 AM PDT

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is possible as I am having trouble with it. I am looking for a router/setup to repeat a wifi signal into an ethernet output. The catch here is that the wifi is secure but uses a browser based authentication system. The network is non secure, but upon connection, you open a browser and "log in" much like hotel wifi. ONce you log in, the connection is stable for months of time so I won't need to repeatedly log in. Anyone have any device recommendations, I couldn't find a device that was capable of handling this...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Repeating Secure Wifi into Ethernet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Repeating Secure Wifi into Ethernet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sure but too hard to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:23 AM PDT

That is, while we know we can set it all up with a PC, CURL and more the setup is not one I will offer more than a short recipe. That is, you would have to write the script and more.

The real fix is to change your router/wifi to cover the intended area. Now that isn't as much trouble as probably costs less.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks-ish
by thenoxus1 / August 7, 2014 12:46 AM PDT

Thanks, but the configuring a router to reach my area wasn't really applicable here since I am trying to repeat an secure broadcast. I don't really have that ability as I am not the one hosting that first wifi signal (think hotel wifi). I will try and look into curl, just not sure exactly what handles that. Thanks though.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2014 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks-ish

Is this your WiFi or not?

Collapse -
No - but authorized user/have permission
by thenoxus1 / August 8, 2014 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait a second.

No the landlord controls wifi and I have a username and password. (open network, when you connect and go into a web browser, you enter a password and username and are granted your access). I spoke to him about it and he said I can do this, he had some tech firm set it up for him and isn't knowledgeable enough to change the settings or just enable a WPA key and doesn't really want to change something. I have his permission to repeat and or route though.

Collapse -
Then use the old ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 12:57 AM PDT

Some PC with apps to do all that work. Figure a few hundred or cheaper if you find a network.

I take it you already tried the usual directional antenna trick?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!